Window AC unit not cooling

With the recent heat spell, my Frigidaire window AC had been running a couple weeks. The other evening, I noticed that the compressor ~seemed~ to not be running nearly all the time like I'd expect. The next morning, it was getting warm in the house and the compressor was not coming on at all from what I could tell. Did not matter where the thermostat setting was at.

Based on some suggestions about a overtemp switch possibly being tripped if the coils were dirty, I pulled the covers on the unit after it had been shut off for a day and blew out any dirt and fuzz with compressed air. It was not real dirty. I checked the temp switch on the compressor housing and also the thermostat switch with a ohm-meter and they were both closed. Plugged the unit in and checked that the compressor was getting power with a voltmeter. It was, and I could feel it running too from the hum. No cold air though and tube coming from the expansion?? valve going to the inside coil was only slightly cold. Coils on the outside and the inside were both "room" temp and not one hot and other cold like it should be. I left it run for 5 min and the compressor housing seemed to be getting sorta hot.

What is the verdict here? Freon leak out? Is it fixeable? This unit is about 5yrs old and does not have a lot of hours on it since we only get a couple weeks a summer where its needed.

Thanks, Jeff

Reply to
JH

From your descrip, it sounds like low freon. Not many fellows service window units (I do, but I'm a new tech and need the work). Of course, I couldn't be sure of this diagnosis until put a piercing valve on, and see what the low side pressure is like. Since you can get a new window unit at Wally World for a hundred bucks or so, a repair can't go much over 50 or 75. So, most AC guys don't even bother with them.

Make a couple calls, possibly some one out there in your area services window AC. Consider also calling appliance repair places.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure is fixable QUESTION is, is it cost effective DIDO

Reply to
Dido

He is so right. You may want to put the money on repairs in a new unit and have no problems for some time.

Just remember to have your window unit washed and cleaned every year.

Reply to
Moe Jones

Buy a new more efficient room A/C, around 9.7-EER or a little more. Too high an EER might not dehumidify enough if you live in a high humidity climate zone. Optimizing Room A/C Output:

- udarrell

Reply to
udarrell

You can buy a new 5000 btu window shaker at Best Buy (and many other places) for $99. You do the math, Einstein. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

christopher, avoid piercing valves for permanent installations. use them for recovery only, and then weld in proper service valves on the process tube/line set.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

That is excellent counsell. There are the occasional moments when I leave a piercing valve on the lowside of a unit. Not expecting the equipment to last more than a couple more years.

As you say, a proper access valve is much better idea.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
no one that you know

At today's repair and parts costs, almost failure in a window shaker out of warranty is not cost effective.

gerry

Reply to
gerry

Nathan W. Collier posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

He would IF he could weld, braze, solder, glue - but he can't. He CAN pop rivet a new fender on the Pinto.

Reply to
Tekkie®

especially considering what theyre selling for these days. i just bought a

10,500 btu at lowes for just over $200.
Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

...seal with bubble gum.

And if it comes with free comics, tape the comic to teh inside of an envelope, enclose a hefty cash donation for this sage advice, and send it to me. Include a SASE and I'll return the comic after I'm done reading it.

Another free service I offer: I accept full, unused jugs of R-12. I collect them, absolutely free of charge! I'll even return the empty jugs if you include extra postage and handling with your Bazooka Joe comic strip.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

I have seen piercings on the low sides of some nice boxes, too. There are occasional moments when I...

Reply to
~^Johnny^~

~^Johnny^~ wrote

You sure are one cunning linguist!

Reply to
Bob_Loblaw

My wife says I really suck at it. It's a taste of the truth, too.

Reply to
~^Johnny^~