GOOD toilet that flushes in ONE flush?

Our toilets do not flush very well. Meaning that it may take 2 or more flushes to really flush the shit. The tanks properly fill and properly release water, but it seems as though there is just not enough of water to do the job right.

Obvious jokes aside, are there any toilets that flush very well (other than commercial style toilets that seem to have vacuum). What is a characteristic that we should look for? Tank volume?

thanks

Ignoramus17503

I have had good success with Kohler Wentworth, bonus is that they are not too expensive. I have installed three of them. Toto has good reputation but may be more $$$. I have some American Standard in new house and sometimes require multiple flushes or they get clogged easily.

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita

No

Toilets used to have 3-gallon tanks. Then the ecology people got a law passed that made 3-gallaon toilets illegal (to buy new). Now we are saving water. I guess they need a new law to make it illegal to flush twice, but that is another issue.

A 3-gallon tank might still be found at auctions and such. eBay?

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Good joke, and what you said makes a lot of sense.

Are you saying that I can no longer buy a 3-5 gallon tank? That's kind of outrageous.

Ignoramus17503

Buy a Toto Drake and you will be very pleased. This toilet blows away any other toilet in its priced range. We are paying just under $200.00 here in AZ.

Craig

Reply to
cm

Thanks. Do you know what makes it better than others?

Ignoramus17503

I bought 2 of the new low water volume toilets (Kohler) when I remodeled. Boy, was I pissed at the performance! Then I noticed in Lowes that they sold separate flappers for LV and standard tanks. On a whim, I replaced the LV flapper with a standard flapper and it made a big difference. Not quite like the old tanks, but a LOT better than it came out of the box. One flush now works about 90% of the time versus about 20% before. Bob

Reply to
Bob

All the passageways are smooth porcelain and maybe engineered for better flow. There was a thread in the past month or so that had a link to Canadian and US government toilet testing and the Toto Drake did very well.

Craig

Reply to
cm

American Standard, Champion model.

There are other brands that do well also - I just have first hand experience with this one.

One thing to keep in mind is that many of these "mega flush" type models don't clean the bowl as well as regular toilets, and can be noisy during flushing (this may or may not matter to you).

Good luck, Budman

Reply to
Budman

Kohler Wellworth is a good choice. I've replaced 2 of our terrible early

90's era low flow toilets with these and am very pleased. I have also tried the American Standard Champion, it's also very good, but does not wash down the bowl as well as the Wellworth. The Champion also has a loud "clunk" when the handle is pressed that takes some getting used to. I ended up replacing it with a Wellworth because the Champion required constant bowl cleaning.

-- Paul

Reply to
Paul

In the old days just about any design would flush with all the water they used. Today they are required to use less water. Not a bad idea. However in order to work well, they need to be well designed. Look for a trap size larger than 2 inches and a fully glazed trap. While there are a number of other factors, you are not likely to find one that fits those two things that does not flush well. The unglazed 1¾ traps don't do well.

You do not need to spend a lot of money. Many of the very expensive models have poor mechanical designs, but they look fancy and that is what tends to sell them.

You can also check out Consumer Reports and other rating sources.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks. I think that I understand what the issues are, now, thank you.

Ignoramus17503

Look into toilets by Toto. I put a couple in my house about a year ago and since then, I've lost my plunger.

cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

The OLD style flushers are still available BRAND NEW on e bay from canada.

To the OP did your toilets work OK for years and then go bad? or did they never work good?

if you use a bucket of water do they flush well?

if they used to work good and dont anymore but work good with a bucket theres a 5 buck fix you can try before replacing the toliets.

Reply to
hallerb

By and large, the most important spec is the trap diameter. Many have 1.5" and they are the ones that clog. 1.75" is better but 2" seems to be the largest. I got an Elger one piece toilet with a 2" trap and it has never clogged yet.

Reply to
PipeDown

I have a Kohler commode with a Sloan Flushmate internal mechanism. It pressurizes itself and sounds like a rocket sled when flushed; but there's nothing it won't blow down the pipe. Beats the crap (pun intended) out of every other low volume toilet I've seen or used.

Reply to
Nobody You'd Know

Toto. They cost more and they are worth it. We have three and in 2+ years there has only been one clog.

Reply to
Tim Killian

2 3/8" fully glazed trap.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Flush volume. Any toilet made before the ridiculous 1.6-gallon limit took effect flushes just fine -- and as far as I know, they are still legal for sale in Canada.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's very strange. Do you have ANY idea what the difference is in the flappers?

Reply to
mm