Good price on an 18 cube ft. refrigerator?

The local Home Depot has a barebones 18 cubic foot top freezer Hotpoint or Frigidaire, don't recall for sure, for $399, w/free delivery (or more accurately, rebated delivery charge) and free takeaway of the old fridge. This weekend there's an additional 10% off, so it's about $360+tax. This is a bit better deal than Best Buy who have an 18cf unit on sale for $399 + $55 for delivery/takeaway and the Home Depot is much closer.

It seems most (more expensive) side-by-side-door models have In-door ice/water. Will not opening the freezer door to get ice make a significant difference in electrical costs? Strictly as a utility, an icemaker and in-door water doesn't really seem like a big attraction to me, and just seems like something to break.

Any thoughts or recommendations? Think I can do signficantly better on the price of a similar unit? Are there big differences in quality between manufacturers in these bargain level units?

Thanks.

Reply to
Doc

I'd not buy a fridge without it, but that is me. I certainly like the water dispensor adn it gets used many times around the clock, even when I get up for the millde of the night pee.

Icemakers are the weak point of any refigerator. I've replaced mine once, but again, after having kids at home and finding empty trays, the machine was a blessing. Kids are long gone and I still like the convenience and yes, you do pay for it.

Not unless it is stolen. They were $400 five+ years ago and the cost of material has increased considerabely since then.

IMO, they are an amazing bargain compared to appliances years ago. God chance they are both using the same compressor that was made in China.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wow, looks like I'll steer clear of getting anything from Best Buy.

Doc

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:AlZji.45554$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

I picked up one of those HD barebones frig's along with a barebones stove for a HUD Wreck I rebuilt. Frig worked fine. Stove fine. Only can attest to 15 months of use before I sold the place.

One kicker on the stove was once installed I go to turn on oven light. Digital clock & timer but no light control. Look inside. No light! How frikkin barebones can ya get?! The thing that really got me is there was a glass panel in the door. Whe the hell good is a glass panel if you can't see inside?! Maybe so you can see a fire or something, ya think? I still laugh at myself for missing that one.

Reply to
Al Bundy

So you can use a flashlight without opening the door.

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:1392qglhqlactf8 @news.supernews.com:

Well, I never claimed to be a pro.

Reply to
Al Bundy

That must be the Home Depot special version. The barebones I have bought from the local appliance place for apartments had lights.

Reply to
George

I wouldn't own a fridge without an icemaker. The in door water doesn't do much for me.

Reply to
George