Going green

Here's how my electric company is helping me:

To help customers use energy more efficiently, we?re delivering two compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) to the homes of residential customers of FirstEnergy?s Ohio operating companies -- Ohio Edison Company, The Cleveland Electric Illuminating Company, and Toledo Edison Company. These types of bulbs use up to 75 percent less electricity than incandescent bulbs and can last 10 times longer -- contributing to significant money and energy savings over the life of the bulb.

Providing energy-efficient light bulbs is just one way we can help our customers save money while also helping the environment.

They didn't mention that my monthly electric bills will include a new 60 cent charge for the next three years ($21.60). It covers the cost of the two bulbs, shipping, and it reimburses First Energy for their lost income 'cuz I will be using less electricity.

I hope they don't send me more bulbs.

Reply to
Bryce

Unbelievable. Of course this couldn't happen without the govt allowing it, since they regulate the utility companies.

Here in NJ about 5 years ago they put a tax on everyone's electric bill to raise money for new energy initiatives. An investigation uncovered the utility commision had a $100Mil fund with no oversight, no clear signature authority, etc. One of the things they have done with that money is to subsidize folks who want to install solar electric on their homes. So, rich folks in fancy houses got $30K to help pay for solar systems that cost $60K. And the money comes from a tax on some poor working stiffs electric bill. And at the end of the day, the real problem is that solar is so expensive that it is not competitive with conventional sources. You can hand out $30K to a few rich folk, but it ain't gonna make any significant difference in the big picture.

Reply to
trader4

Environmentalism has always been a rich person's cult. All of these "green" rebates are for people rich enough to exploit them. Even with the rebate I doubt anyone will actually save any money in the long run. Maintenance is the unmentioned 800 lb gorilla in the room.

Reply to
gfretwell

Right. Put "Green" and "New Jersey" together and the little guy is double-screwed. And he's not even a light bulb.

"Falls" are the leading cause of injury requiring emergency room visits (except in gun-free Chicago, of course, where the leading cause is gunshots). Anyway, imagine 30 million homes with some type of solar collector on the roof and legions of middle-aged men sweeping off the leaves or snow or whatever.

Reply to
HeyBub

We are being forced to buy things and services we do not need nor want. Whatever happened to liberty in the US of A?

Reply to
Phisherman

No need to sweep off snow, just make the panels with heating strips that are powered off the grid! Sort of like the energy star refrigerators with the heating strips to prevent condensation.

Reply to
Tony

Aww, just sit down and shut up. All hail Obama! Our great leader even has a shiny new Nobel prize, which obviously he so richly deserves for bringing peace to the world. Unless you wise up, you are destined for the re-education camp.

Reply to
trader4