GFIC reset for whirlpool bathtub

Code requires the whirlpool bath pump and heater to be on separate, dedicated GFICs. The outlets for the pump and heater must be concealed at the end of the tub, behind a access panel.

The question is how to allow for easy GFIC testing and reset. If the protection is provided by GFIC units at the service panel, one has to go outdoors to test or reset. If the protection is provided by GFIC receptacles, one has to remove the access panel at the tub to do it. Neither solution is conducive to the recommended frequent test. Jacuzzi says before each use!

One thought is to put the actual GFIC receptacle at an exposed location, and feed the concealed receptacle off of it. This would provide the GF protection, but may not meet a strict interpretation of the code, since the exposed receptacle could be used for something else. Another objection to this approach is that the most convenient place to put the exposed receptacle may appear strange. For example, in my case the pump end of the tub is up against a stub partition that forms the tub niche on one side and the toilet niche on the other. Putting two junction boxes back-to-back

4 inches off the floor in the stub partition would be very convenient, but anyone using the toilet would surely wonder why we need an electrical outlet beside the toilet! (BTW, it's the bathroom used by visitors.)

So, what's a better solution? Is there any such thing as a GFIC outlet with a remote test/reset button?

TIA

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man

Ed,

Check out this link -

a GFI with no outlets on it.

HTH Matt

Reply to
Matt

check locally for the correct interperation

Reply to
SQLit

The answer is, GFCI devices mounted at countertop level. They're exactly like GFCI receptacles, except there's no place to plug into them. They're connected exactly like a GFCI receptacle would be, with line and load terminals.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

Thanks! Went over to HD and there it was, a blank face GFCI. So I will mount this on the exposed side of my stub partition, and then a normal receptical that faces to the space under the tub rim. The latter is fed from the GFCI. Right?

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man