GFCI Circuit protection question-outdoor wiring

I am aware of that as my bread work is electrical. I was only asking that if the opportunity presents please put a single disconnect outside.

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Reply to
HorneTD

Which example for which section?

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Reply to
HorneTD

OK so just add a double pole 30A breaker as a main breaker in the panel.

Reply to
chester

Edison must have known AMUN...

Reply to
G Hensley

What are you using the shed for, again? And what's the price difference, and does that price difference change if you go to conduit and/or individual strand?

30A is probably enough for a home workshop with one user, and if you use conduit, you can always swap out the feeder and breaker(s) if you decide to upgrade.

(Although if we were making stone soup, I'd observer that having a few extra amps for an arc-welder is always, good, and wouldn't it be nice to be able to put in AC and a refridgerator?...)

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn

As long as there are no more than 6 breakers in the shed he is OK without a "main" out there.

Reply to
gfretwell

"service"?

That would be misleading, there are no service conductors present here.

You folks are really working too hard to make this complicated

225.37 Exception No. 2: This identification shall not be required for branch circuits installed from a dwelling unit to a second building or structure.

It is a good idea to label these as disconnects but not required. The panelboard still has to be labelled tho.

A fireman will probably pull the meter anyway

Reply to
gfretwell

The US NEC requires a disconnecting means for each separate structure.

"225.31 Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided for disconnecting all ungrounded conductors that supply or pass through the building or structure.

225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed either inside or outside of the building or structure served or where the conductors pass through the building or structure. The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors. For the purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be permitted to be utilized."

So as long as your panel is located "at a readily accessible location nearest the point of entrance of the conductors" all you have to do is install a double pole breaker with a breaker tie down kit and feed your supply into the breakers terminals. That breaker is then the service disconnecting means for the shed. The phrase "nearest the point of entrance of the conductors" is generally held to mean not more than five linear or ten wire feet from were the conductors enter the structure.

Since, IIRC, you are in Washington State you would be under the Uniform Building Code (UBC). The UBC has no rules about whether the disconnect is inside or outside of the structure. The Southern Building Code required and exterior disconnecting means at one time.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

Now I understand what you are saying. The higher voltages I was referring to are the ones that the OP was referring to such as 480/277. Such higher voltages cannot be derived from the same circuit without using a transformer as opposed to may not be derived from the same circuit because the code prohibits it which it does not. My point was that the exception allowing multiple feeders or branch circuits for different voltage characteristics does not apply to situations were the needed voltages can be derived from the same circuit. I do not see any conflict between our two postings. I was urging the OP not to run two circuits to obtain the 240 & 120 volt circuits he needs. I believe you were suggesting that he use a single multi wire branch circuit to accomplish that.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

Yes with a breaker tie down kit provided that the panel is mounted "nearest the point of entrance of the conductors."

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

That's true as long as all of the breakers are clearly labeled to indicate they are service disconnecting means.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

Well, it is actually more like a backyard "cabin". About 250 sq feet, with one indoor light fixture, one outdoor motion-activated light. it willl have a couch, a table and a desk. It is like adding a room on to a house I figure. Electrical load will be TV, heater, maybe a tredmill, light, etc. Light electircal load, I think. Occaisonally I willl be running a miter saw or skill saw, or some other power tool. One at a time, always. I think 30A is enogh, but I will run conduit, in case I want to change.

I wonder, if I run conduit, the whole way out, even if it is underground, do I need UF cable?

Reply to
gk

225.7 does not apply to a building with a single source of supply so the exceptions to it do not apply either. THE UBC and the Uniform Fire Prevention Code, which are adopted by law in the OPs state of Washington, both require the labeling of building disconnecting means.

Most Firefighters do not pull meters because they can fail explosively when that is improperly done. What we do is to open all of the utility disconnects we can find.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

Could you describe how it is "improperly done"? [I'm not challenging what you said.]

Bud--

Reply to
Bud--

Then the SERVICE disconnect will drop this building with the rest of the house.

Reply to
gfretwell

No you do not need UF or any other form of cable in conduit. You can run individual conductors that are suitable for wet locations such as very commonly available THWN. T = Thermoplastic, H = High temperature @

75 degree centigrade temperature rating of the insulation, W = Wet locations, N = Nylon coated.

-- Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use." Thomas Alva Edison

Reply to
HorneTD

I only watched them do it once but the guy took the pointy end of his fire ax, snapped the seal and ring and hooked the meter. Then he popped it out on the ground in one quick move. If it arced it would only be a few miliseconds.

Reply to
gfretwell

If a meter blade on the line side makes contact with the meter enclosure while the meter blades on the utility side are still in contact with the terminals an Arc blast will occur. The highest risk of this occurring is in outdated T based meters and in ring type meter mounts.