[SOLVED] Getting wheels off bench grinders

I removed one wheel successfully, but can not remove the 2nd wheel off my grinder.

How do I remove the thing?

Thanks.

Reply to
A K

One wheel nut is counter-thread. Try turning it opposite direction.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Already tried that.

Reply to
A K

  Put a box end wrench on the nut . Hold the wheel with one hand and whack the free end of the wrench with a mallet or brass hammer . Hint , in case you didn't know - the nut loosens in the same direction as the wheel turns in use .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Impact wrench.

Reply to
gfretwell

Vibration loosens things. One old trick is to put a heavy hammer on one side of the item then hit it on the opposite side with another hammer. Maybe you could try just hitting the nut with a small hammer or use a chisel as an intermediate device. Hold a socket that is too small for the nut but bigger than the bolt over the nut then hit the socket with a hammer.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thanks.

I put some PB Penetrating Catalyst on it.

Will check it in 30 minutes.

Andy

Reply to
A K

I used a variation of your method.

Had a 19 mm socket on one end and long bar with a 19mm socket on the other.

Used the PB catalyst first, then whacked it with a ball peen hammer to remove the nut.

Thanks, Andy

Reply to
A K

While I had the wheels off, I did an experiment.

I feel like there is too much vibration.

Someone posted that I needed new stones or brushes.

With just the brush there was a moderate amt. of vibration.

With just the stone, there was quite a bit more vibration.

Andy

Reply to
A K

  Do you have a dial indicator that you can set up to check the shafts ? Doesn't take a lot of runout to create a lot of vibes .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Stones will get out of balance. I have a tool to true mine up and it makes it a bit better but you are eating some stone when you do it.

Reply to
gfretwell