General computer question

Yup. By connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Not a problem for me because I have a 4 port KVM on my home setup. Have a 5 port at the office which was great with the hypoer-v server, but is not a whole lot of use since we switched to VMware. Now I have a laptop on my desk and I have to RDP into the box to do anything at all.

Reply to
clare
[snip]

Maybe you misunderstood. I was talking about a mouse that can operate as EITHER USB or PS2. THAT MOUSE can operate on either port. Most seem to be like that now.

That doesn't make sense for the mouse I was describing (one that can work with the adapters, and needs to be able to work with NO USB port). There are USB/PS2 keyboards like this too.

BTW, I prefer USB on systems that can handle it. A PS2 mouse or keyboad has to be plugged in while the computer is initializing. USB devices don't have that limitation. Also, USB connectors don't fall out as easily.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

It should if this is really a protocol converter (I think it is), not just a plug adapter like the little ones that seem to come with most mice now.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I didn't misunderstand. Virtually ANY mouse will work on either PS2 or USB - a PS2 mouse is recognized by the bios on bootup - a USB mouse is recognized by the operating system and the USB port drivers negotiate with the mouse for regognition.

If used as PS2 they need to be attached at bootup and recognized by the bios - if used as USB they can be plugged in at any time and are recognized by the USB port drivers in the OS. It can take up to several minutes for a computer to recognize and access a newly installed USB mouse or keyboard

A usb port IS mechanically more robust tan a PS2 connector - but I've seen both damaged to the point they were unuseable. The big advantage of USB is if you have ONE available you can connect your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, sound device, and external drive (using a hub) - while if you damage either the PS2 mouse or keyboard plug you are TOAST.

Reply to
clare

You'd be better off just running the 'internet machine' as a virtual machine on the same machine as the business system. The virtual machine can be reinstalled anytime, just like real hardware. See VirtualBox.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal