** GE built-in refrigerator not working / tries to start and immediately stops full quite in 1 sec or so **

1.) I have a GE refrigerator from about 1989. This is a "built-in refrigerator" which is about 84" high by 42"wide by approx 24-26" deep. It has always been working fine. GE model: BISW42EKB has compressor on top of fridge.

2.) After Hurricane Francis my power came back on and I came back to my house to find my refrigerator and freezer completely warm/hot. When I opened the door I would hear the fridge try and startup with the fan but immediately then stops (in about 1 sec or so) and does not try again until a bit later (complete silence after the failed startup). The light comes on though on both sides (fridge and freezer). I am thinking that it may be the compressor starter which may have gotten hurt or the compressor itself (could it be much else?). Anyone have a good guess what the problem here might be and what parts I might need to purchase to replace them (hopefully in order of best possible solutions)

3.) Do you think the parts need to be authentic "GE parts" or can Universal 3rd party parts work fine?

4.) SECOND problem which has been existing now is that the ice dispensor (inside the freezer door) seems to be icing up. This has prevented the pullies and wires from being able to operate the ice dispensor properly. This has now prevented water from comming out of the water dispensor. I have tried to fix this once before but at this point I am wondering if I could somehow replace enough or all of this dispensor so that it definately fixes this problem. What parts would one advise for this?

Thanks,

-David

Reply to
David Sussman

Sounds like you need a need relay/switch for the compressor motor. I replaced mine on my Kenmore for around $15.

Reply to
JaKe

At this point, I'm not sure what is trying to start. Is the compressor trying to start, or one of the two fans? is the compressor warm?

The two things that come to mind to me are bad start relay on the compressor, and less likely would be bad defrost timer.

Universal parts work nicely. GE tends to be "Generally Expensive".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If his ice maker is "icing up" the compressor must be running. Just wonder if somehow there is ice preventing flow of air in the freezer. Cure for that would be to turn it off for a few hours and dry out the interior.

Reply to
HRL

Hi,

Start relay/overload or the compressor may have been damaged from low voltage or a voltage stike and the compressor cannot start.

ptcr

Depends on the part, some after market parts work very well.

parts can only be gotten from the manufcature.

Possible the insulation is soaked/saturated around the dispensor area and should be changed, need to make sure no room air is leaking in to help create the build ups.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff