Gate Slide Bolt into masonry?

I have a vinyl gate on the side of my house. I didn't put a post against the side of the house, to save width, because I need to fit a 6 foot wide boat through the opening. The second post would have made that impossible. Now I'm trying to put a slide bolt on the gate to lock it in place, but is my only option to put the bolt into the masonry (the brick on the side of my house)?

Is there a best practice for this? A sleeve I can put in the masonry to keep it sealed? Or an alternative bolt I can use?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Bolt:

Side of house:

EB

The problem is that brick is soft. You might get away with tap con screws but they may also pull out.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'd drill into the brick and put a metal sleeve into the hole for the bolt to slide into. If you do nothing, over time the brick will wear from the bolt. For the sleve, a piece of PVC pipe or metal tubing should work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:52:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

How about mounting the bold vertically at the bottom of the gate and have the bolt slide vertically down into a metal tube in the ground?

Reply to
CRNG

Oren and CRNG mean something like this when they say vertical latch with a pipe in the ground.

or

The gate will wiggle at the top but will stay closed.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You could just drill the hole in the masonry and use that with or without a bushing. Alternatively, you could mount a piece of wood on the masonry so the gate closes against it, then mount the bolt so it can enter a hole in the wood.

Reply to
dadiOH

That would work and if mounted properly you can take it off when you move the boat in or out. Or cut a slot in the hull of the boat to clear it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Only do this if you first buy a roll of that shit tape as-seen-on-tv.

Reply to
Thomas