Gasoline Storage Problem?

I would like to store gas/oil mix for my landscaping tools in a handy cannister, but can find nothing smaller than the one gallon size.

Can I use something like a two quart Clorox bottle or a similar material?

Will such plastics deteriorate or mix with gas in ways which will damage motors?

Have you other suggestions?

(Of course I would mark the container clearly for safety purposes.)

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Dwight

NO, NO, NO, NO. In other words, NO.

Yes, the plastic will probably deteriorate.

Suggestion: Stop thinking about using anything but a container made for gasoline.

I don't recall where (maybe Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware store, West Marine), but I've seen very small gas containers that made me think "What's that for?", and then I wandered off to the light bulb department. Go find one.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Simple answer NO!

No one knows until they have tested it and if someone has tested a Clorox bottle, what if they changed the bottle formula last week?

Just don't do it. Use an approved container only. You not only have to worry about it eating the container, but how about allowing for expansion etc.? Stick with the real thing.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You should use a 1 gallon plastic gas can that clearly labled with the fuel/oil mix that's in it. Clorox bottles aren't vented, and don't come with pour-spouts, aren't as thick-walled as gas-cans, and it's a violation of the law in most places to put gasoline into a non-approved container. (although that might just be at the gas station..)

Reply to
Goedjn

I've seen gasoline containers in half gallon sizes. I think it was at the lawn mower shop where I bought my lawn equipment.

Reply to
Freckles

I've seen half gallon gasoline containers at the lawn mower shop where I bought my lawn equipment.

Reply to
Freckles

I have a one-gallon gas can in my garage from Walmart.

Reply to
loOP9

Code in my neighborhood is to store only in approved container, and with a chain for ground outdoors.

Reply to
Norminn

I'm sorry, but I thought I was tight. Some of my employees accuse me of it regularly.

Not even I would try to preserve a quart of 2 stroke for next season. You'll spend more, but you could buy some Stabil that will help it keep.

Throw the stuff out or run it through the tool. You, the machine, and the gas can will be happier to start off fresh next season.

Reply to
DanG

Assuming it's otherwise clean, pour it into the car's gas tank when it's near empty and you're about to fill it up.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Glass mayonnaise jars work well, as do wine bottles with screw-on caps.

When necessary, either can be used as a Molotov cocktail.

Reply to
HeyBub

Or just pour it in when the gas tank's already near full...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Or even 53% full or 47% empty. But, pick up the car and shake, to be sure it mixes well.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You may find what you are looking for at the URL below.

Freckles

You can buy 1/2 gal gas cans most anywhere.

A light blub department? No sweat.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Omigod! Not down the drain! HORRORS!!

How about this: Put it in your car when the tank is nearly full. I am not ASE-certified but I can almost guarantee you that a couple of quarts of

50:1-mixed fuel added to 15-20 gallons of gas won't hurt a thing.

Now, THERE's a thought!

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Reminds me of when I was a kid. My Dad used to keep gas for the chain saw in a 1 gallon glass jug with a screw top. The kind with the little glass finger grip near the top. I remember one day he enlisted the help of some neighbours to haul down a tree in the front yard. He went to get the gas and one of the guys said "Oh, oh, here comes Roman with the good stuff" . Still makes me chuckle.

Reply to
Ray

Right. Right blubs, where them gas cans am kept.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

^^^^

Thank-you for not ridiculing MY dim blub(sic).

(Now where did I put that spell-checker?)

Reply to
Jim Redelfs