40:1 vs 50:1 for leaf blowers, chain saws, hedge trimmers etc

I'm not that experienced, hence this noob question for help.

I can never remember if it's 40:1 or 50:1 for my small gas tools, and I never use all that much gas anyone (usually far less than a gallon at a time).

My two main questions are

  1. If I default to one or the other, which is best for most tools?

  1. How do I figure out a (40:1 or 50:1) mixture when I'm using a 1 liter coke bottle to do my mixing in?

Is there a convenient amount (eg one capful or two teaspoons per 500 ml or something like that which is easily measured and always handy? (I don't have small ml measuring devices).

Reply to
Jack Black

I've heard people say that the 40:1 was based on oils from days gone by, while the 50:1 is based on contemporary oils that are possibly synthethic, higher quality, better properties, etc. So you get the same lubrication or better today from 50:1 than you did with 40:1. I haven't bought oil in a long time, but for the chainsaw, trimmer, etc, I'd just go with what's on the shelf, and I think it's likely 50 today. That's also better for emissions, probably another driving factor.

To mix is, just get one of those 1 gallon plastic cans made for it. And you can get the oil in premeasured little containers that make 1 gal, so you just pour in one container, then fill with gas.

Reply to
trader_4

I only understood half your answer. What you said was to go with 50:1 for all my tools, and you justified it nicely. So that is what I'll go with unless someone says otherwise.

But I didn't understand the second part of your statement. What does that mean that what's on the shelf is "likely 50"?

What is on "my" shelf is a quart size plastic bottle of two stroke oil. There is nothing on my shelf that is "likely 50".

Exdcept that 1 liter is more like what I need at a time than 1 gallon. And it's hard to find a quarter gallon approved gas can.

Even half a liter will do me fine. I can use a 500ml soda bottle for the temporary container (those 500ml coke bottles easily hold gas for years, ask me how I know).

Is there an easy meausring item, like a teaspoon or a tablespoon measureing device for figuring out how much oil goes into a liter of gasoline?

My goal is to spoon in just the right amount of oil and then pour in the gasoline until the coke bottle is full. That can then be shaked and poured into the tool.

Reply to
Arty Wilkinson

I'm sure you can do the math to divide 500 ml by 50 to get 10 ml oil.

You can buy small measuring spoons at a kitchen store. Also, you might try at the drug store. Often they have syringes to measure liquid medicine for babies and other small animals.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

...let me guess...he means the shelf at the store, duh!

Reply to
bob_villain

I bought a special oil syringe that has lables on it for the oil mix. Just suck upto the mark you want and put the oil in a gallon of gas.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I was referring to those little one use bottles that I referred to later in my post. They have just enough oil so that when you pour it into a gallon container, then fill with gas, you get the X:1 ratio. And I'm betting that the ones being sold now, make 50:1 not 40:1, but IDK for sure.

If you buy the oil in a larger container, then you can of course mix it any way you want and IDK what those containers say about recommended ratios.

By my calculation, one Tablespoon plus one teaspoon added to one liter will give you 50:1. The advisability of using a plastic soda bottle to hold gasoline, I'm sure that will create much discussion.

Reply to
trader_4

Some companies sell the one use bottles with their name on it and for the correct mix for one gallon of gas. I have seen them for both 40 and 50 to 1 mix. If you only use a couple a year, I doubt the cost is much more than buying a large container of oil.

As mentioned before I bought a large plastic seringe that has markings on it for oz, ml, and the ratio of oil to gallon of gas.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I think the difference is small enough that either one is okay.

My procedure is like this:

I have a half gallon glass bottle with a 2 inch neck opening. Contained juice at one time. I have a 2 oz. container for 2 cycle oil that I keep even though I usually buy 2 cycle oil in larger containers. I have one gas can reserved for 2 cycle fuel.

I pour 2 oz of oil into the glass bottle. Then I add gasoline to the glass bottle and pour into the gas can. I then add just gas and pour a second time. So, one gallon gas, 2 oz. oil. Works fine for my backpack blower and string trimmer.

No way I'd start with 40/1 and 50/1 mixtures.

Reply to
Dan Espen

It's pretty simple. Add one ounce of oil to 40 ounces of gas. A liter is 33 ounces, so go a bit lite on the oil. A tablespoon is 1/2 ounce, so two tablespoons to a liter will give you 33:1. Short the second tablespoon a bit to get 40:1.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just about any farm supply store sells syringes made for animal use. They usually range from 12CC up to 60CC (CC and ml are the same). They all have measurements on them as small as 1/4 of a ml.

They cost less than a dollar and you dont need the needle (which is often sold separately). If you dont have any farm stores nearby, ask any veterinarian to sell you one.

To use it, stick the tip in the oil container, then pull the plunger toward you until you get the desired amount marked on the syringe. Squirt it into your gas can.... shake it, use it!

ALWAYS USE AN APPROVED GAS CAN! Even if a soda bottle holds up with gas in it, you dont want some child to drink gas..... You can easily measure one quart of gas with any kitchen measuring cup, pour it into a one gallon gas can, and add the oil with the syringe. Then shake and use....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Just went through this drill with my small engine repair shop (trust them implicitly: family run business for 50+ years, sell new and used, fix just about everything and tend to suggest the cheaper alternative whenever feasible)

Chain saw w/o much total use crapped out with alcohol in the fuel screwing up the lines. Quick replacement and recommendation to use the canned, pre-mixed fuel for two stroke engines put out by various manufacturer's.

A quart will run you ~ $7 or $8 but it has a shelf life in excess of 18 months once opened. Premium gas, no alcohol, guaranteed ratio of 50:1 or 40:1 depending on the label, and fuel stabilizers already in it.

As I have a variety of equipment I asked the same question... Do I use

50:1 or 40:1 or Both. Their advice was, whichever you can get and is cheaper. The engine won't know the difference.
Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

RTFM dude. Use the kind of oil in the ratio the tool manufacturer recommends.

That way, you won't have to repost here in a few months months seeking a fix for a burned-through or seized-up piston (too little oil) or a totally gummed-up fuel or exhaust system (too much oil) ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Get a syringe. They make them with the amounts all calculated for those mathematically challenged too - can't remember what they call them.

Reply to
clare

buy a red bottle of engine oil, or a bottle of MMO Nice red 1 liter (or 1 qt) "gas can"

Reply to
clare

I am in a situation like that. couple weed whackers, chain saw, snow blower, etc. I'd make 45:1 mix and use it for every thing you have. I keep two jerry cans(well marked) , one for gas, one for mixed with oil.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

oil designed for 50:1, mixed 50:1, will protect an engine as well as the oil designed for 16:1 way back when protected the engine at 16:1.. Don't even THINK about running an engine calling for 50:1 on a 80:1 mix of oil designed for 16:1 mix.

I/m not sure I'd run an old jacobsen iron horse 2 stroke on 100:1mix, even if the oil said it was good for 100:1, but I'd sire use it at

50:1 - and the original spec was 16:1 with non detergent sae30 oil, later upgrades to 24:1 and 30:1 with "2 stroke motor oil" specified - and no changes to the engine.
Reply to
clare

Probably over kill, but I have 2 of the 1 gallon gas cans. One for each mix.

One can I had for many years for most of the 2 cycle stuff. Then bought a weed eater that called for 50:1, bought a can for it and was surprised at the cost. It has one of the newer no spill type nozzels. I usually spill more than I use with that can.

I just hope the old 5 gallon cans I have do not go bad on me.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I buy the oil in a plastic bottle with a measuring section built in. Squeeze what you need, then pour. Add gas.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have a couple of those bottles myself. One makes 50:1 and the other does 32:1 for a couple of my older machines. (making a gallon)

Reply to
gfretwell