Gas vs. Electric Dryer

so is living

...insane rant snipped

You use electric heat and an electric car? If you use a lawn mower, it's electric too, right? Do you ever enter residences using gas?

They have drugs nowadays that can help you.

Reply to
TCS

Please, no need to insult innocent mentally challenged people uninvolved in this "discussion". Your contempt is contemptible.

Reply to
xymergy

I think that regulation enters into the picture when the gas crosses state lines. Not suprisingly, gas is typically more expensive in gas producing states.

Reply to
Albert Wagner

Google on FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) for articles like this:

"Recent analyses of the natural gas market, 1 including those of the Department of Energy (DOE), the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), 2 and the State of Louisiana, 3 conclude that there is a serious problem of regional gas supply imbalance in which most intrastate pipelines are at a disadvantage in competing with most interstate pipelines for new gas supplies. In addition to this supply imbalance, there is a related problem of price disparity. Most intrastate pipelines must pay prices for old gas supplies substantially higher than the prices interstate pipelines must pay for such supplies. Analysts predict that the twin problems of supply imbalance and price disparity between the interstate and intrastate markets will grow worse over the next five to ten years unless Congress passes legislation to avoid this result. Louisiana is particularly disadvantaged by the present situation because of its heavy reliance on intrastate suppliers of natural gas."

Albert Wagner

Reply to
Tim

Be careful about generalized statements like this; this particular one is not universally true. In Massachusetts, for example, both electricity and natural gas rates are regulated by the government, in the sense that the utilities need to get permission from the regulatory authorities before raising rates, but the authorities rarely reject a rate increase when it is legitimately due to increased fossil-fuel costs.

Reply to
Jonathan Kamens

Why do you say that? Most regulation of utility pricing is at the state level, not the Federal level. State regulatory authorities don't care whether the gas/electricity cross state lines.

Reply to
Jonathan Kamens

Read it, carefully. Looks like this:

1) There is an price disparity.

2) There is *not* a regulation to stop this, the author is saying that a regulation is needed to prevent this.

3) It is not clear from the above excerpt alone, that the *reason* for the disparity is a present reg, rather than old contracts.

Sure, there is an FERC, and it has many roles, and some of its roles have changed over the years, particularly as to now reduced regulation of natural gas. Its not my field. Maybe you have info, but tell us more. The above quote only tells us there is a disparity in price and that some pipelines are at a competitive disadvantage. But why?

-v.

nospam4me

This only goes to show just how dangerous Gas used in the home can be.

EastBound-

Reply to
Eastward Bound

The real problem with porches is that people just drive them too damn fast!

Reply to
Jim Kent

children would

Reply to
Albert Wagner

Remember, never, ever let off the throttle when driving your porche around the corner. Trailing throttle oversteer is not to be triffled with. :)

JazzMan

Reply to
JazzMan

Facetious, but a ring of truth in some cases. My question is how at least 69 people (12 dead, 57 injured) fit on the porch in question. Assuming an average 120 pounds (probably low) per person, that's over four tons. Even as dead weight, that's a fair load, not to mention movement. Nobody would think of parking two compact cars on that porch and expect it to stand up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

The spamnographers summer job is repairing porches

Reply to
monday, june 30, 2003

Jeff Cochran snipped-for-privacy@mydomain.dude wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The porch that collapsed was on the 3rd floor, and it took the 2nd and first floor porches with it. Apparently, the 2nd floor porch also had a number of people on it.

Reply to
David W.

Tragic though it is, it makes you wonder why SOMEONE didn't have the brains to clear the porch --- even in my early 20s, I think I'd have realized that was unsafe.

But - having lived in a college town for 10 years - it does seems as if young people have no sense of their own mortality, and lot of them have no common sense either.

Pat (in old curmudgeon mode)

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Because anyone who'd say such a thing would be dismissed as fussy, paranoid, and a party-pooper.

Reply to
Jim Kent

I'll buy the above statement. Plus, at least in my area, ALL recent building explosions or fires caused by natural gas were caused by a leak in the main OUTSIDE of the building. The gas would typically seep thru the ground into the basement and then became ignited.

The fault in most cases was with a contractor who didn't "call before he dug". Sometimes the damage wasn't immediately obvious but took days or even weeks to become evident.

A small gas leak in an appliance rarely causes a problem. It takes a lot of gas in the air to reach the right intensity for ignition. Since the gas companies add the smell to the gas (without the chemical additive, it would be hard to detect), the smell becomes overpowering long before an explosive mixture is reached.

For a fairly balanced discussion of the safty aspects of various fuels, you'd have to add in all those folks killed via electrocution each year.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Billy calm down, don't fight the Doctors. The Doctors are your friends, they are here to help you.

Reply to
Eastward Bound