Gas prices nearly doubled today

Yesterday the pump prices were around $3.50 a gallon, today they jumped up to $6.10 a gallon. This is getting out of control. Soon no one will be able to afford to drive.

Reply to
jw

Hey, they are only $5.82 in my area. It'll be a week or so before they go over the $6.00 mark. Enough time to do some more of the jack-rabbit starts at the lights, leave some rubber behind at the driveway, that sorta thing. Maybe buy a new truck with 15MPG rating. Shucks, no need to be trying to conserve. 'Cause we are 'Mericans, we DESERVE to be able to do that.

Reply to
Michael B

Where is this?

Reply to
LSMFT

In the land of April fools ;)

Reply to
Frank

Be glad you're A plugger is a guy who remembers when gas cost $1 for FOUR gallons, now it costs $4 for ONE gallon.

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia

Remember when gas was 28 cents a gallon and a carton of cigarettes was 2 dollars? Maybe it still is and the money is no good.

Reply to
LSMFT

I think the lowest I remember gas was 32 or 35 cents but that was just the last sign I remember. I must have been about 17 y/o. 1971

I remember back then we were much more concerned with the price of milk, bread and eggs.

I quit smoking just before cigarettes went over $1/pack.

1985

The cost to Saudi Arabia for a barrel of oil is $2.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

What is the cost of crude oil pumped in the US a barrel?

Reply to
willshak

I think, even is Saudi Arabia, the days of oil just flowing out of the ground are over. I remember a show where they said it cost them $40/barrel to drill and cart/pipe across the dessert. Something a lot of people don't understand is that there is plenty of oil but access makes it cost more. Shale oil must be extracted with heat or chemicals and I don't think there is any profit if commodity is going for $50/barrel.

When I was a kid, 18 cents would get you a loaf of bread, a pack of cigarettes, a quart of milk or a gallon of gas ;)

First house I rented in 1965 cost 15 cents/gallon for heating oil. I just spent $800 two weeks ago for 200 gallons to fill my oil tank.

Reply to
Frank

$4.83 and up a gallon here in central Ontario this morning

Reply to
clare

I may be older than some of you. When gas went from $.11 to $.13 per gallon dad said we cannot drive unless needed. Milk was $.35 per gallon and came in a glass gallon container that had a wire loop handle for carrying. WW

Reply to
WW

Wish I could run my car on milk. Around here, it'd be cheaper.

Reply to
aemeijers

Yup, and you don't need to feed the gasburner when it's not working. Hayburners need feeding regardless.

Reply to
clare

Good thing it doesn't run on fizzy water.

Reply to
clare

My van may be made by Chrysler, but it doesn't have a turbine. Don't think the onboard computer would know what to do with a half-alcohol half-water mix. Maybe moonshine that had been run through 3 times....

Reply to
aemeijers

You could run it on Vodka or Everclear....

Reply to
jw

Grandpa, is that you?!!! (-:

-- Bobby G.