Gas line Question

So I guess they are upgrading the gas service outside our building here. They claim they are upgrading it from 1/2 a pound or a pound to 50 pounds per square inch. They are saying they need to put a regulator INSIDE our building to step the 50 pounds per square inch down to 1/2 a pound per square inch.

My question is.. is this even safe? TO run 50 pounds per square inch into 1/2 a pound per square inch device? With the regulator inside the building??

Reply to
Matt

Sure it is. 50 PSI is still a fairly low pressure, and if the pipe couldn't handle it the gas company sure wouldn't be doing it.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Sure, 50 psi is really low for piping. Your water lines may carry up to 100 psi, the air line at the gas station is probably 110 to 130 psi. My entire plant is piped with 110 psi steam that drops to 50 at a regulator, then to

25 at the machines.

When we put in a new boiler, the gas company had to upgrade the gas lines for more volume and higher pressure. You should be there when they weld on the lines. I moved away for that treat.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sure it is safe, for the pipes, but it is NOT safe for your appliances that may not be designed to handle that. That is the reason they are telling you to add the regulator.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

"Matt" wrote

Oh.......my......GAWD!!!!!!!!

50 pounds!!????!!

10 times that and you could have the explosive power of a child's near-deflated BALLOON!!!!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

The primary side of the gas meters here in Arizona are measured in pounds the secondary side is measured in ounces for residences.

You need to call and clarify with them on this. FYI they get to put it almost anywhere they decide. They are the utility

Reply to
SQLit

Yes. Usually they will put them outside, as it is easier to meter read and repair, but they can go inside. The regulator drops the pressure back down for the inside piping, so it works just like it always has.

The regulator is a simple mechanical device, they are very reliable.

Reply to
John Hines

And there should be a pressure safety valve and a dump pipe. In the Rochester NY area, th ere are safety valves on every home, and a dump pipe in case the system is over pressurized.

Back in the 50's we had a system over pressurized, and hurt a lot of people.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon