Gas line capacities????

I have a 1" black gas main. It has several spare T's along it capped for growth @ 1/2"

Can I run one 1/2" line upstairs, put a T in it with one line about 10" long with a valve for a gas stove and the other line through a wall for a 10K BTU heater with it's own valve as well? How about larger or smaller heater size?

Can I run one 1/2" line up and across the unfinished utility room ceiling from it and back down again to a T with two shut offs for two side by side gas dryers?

Thanks as usual.

Reply to
Ralph D.

We need to know more information, such as BTU rating on the gas stove and dryers and the total length of run of the gas pipe. Also meter size, and how long of run the 1" pipe is at the various take offs. The 1" run may be too long to do much, plus adding more runs may require added meter capacity. You may need to have the meter changed to 2 PSI, and add regulators to each appliance. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Can you? Yes. Will it work properly? Maybe, maybe not...

Yes, you can. Will the dryers work properly? No. Will they heat and dry clothes? Yes. Will they dry the clothes the best possible way? No.

Reply to
HeatMan

Don't know as I don't own any of them yet... won't be fancy or expensive, though.

From the main to the stove T will be about 10' then 10" to the stove and a foot or two through the wall to the heater.

Don't have a meter... but I'm going from 20# down to a 1/2# regulator where I enter the house

22' overall on the main. 11' to the stove/heater takeoff, the dryer takeoffs are at the 17' mark, at the end of the 22' main a 1/2 line goes another 3' to a new 70K furnace and past that another 2' or so is a flex line to a 30K space heater (runs at min setting unless the electric is off for the furnace)

The line to the dryers would go a total length up/over/down of 20' where they would supply side by side dryers of the garden variety.

Not likely to happen

Thanks for replying

Reply to
Ralph D.

I ran 1" main 40 feet to an 100k btu forced air heater with 3' of 1/2" as the drop. From there it was 3/4" another 25 feet to a the stove, with 8 feet of 1/2" drop. Then 3/4 to the dryer. Worked flawlessly. With out a schematic of your COMPLETE gas system there is little exact information that can be given.

Time for some calls to the local pros

My gas company will not increase pressure to residences. no matter what.

Ever notice that at Burger Dude, the gas line is usually 1" coming in and

3-4" after the meter and regulator?
Reply to
SQLit

It may be the only way to do it correctly. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Burger Dude may have a 2 PSI supply pressure too! I piped one job that had a three million BTU load, 2 PSI gas pressure. We had to really get out the calculators and tape measures to pipe it all with

2" pipe. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

If this is the Service pipe from the Gas Main in the road then NO, yo cannot touch it. No CORGI engineer has permission to touch as ga service pipe without consultation from the relevant Gas Transporte and/or Supplier.

If, and I stress IF, as your description sounds, this is the Servic pipe, a Govenor will be required, I assume that the current 1" suppl you speak of is connected to a meter and regulator. These other services require metering also. If you require a large load capacity from your service you will need to contact your ga supplier.

If you tie into one of these other capped service pipes, you will b committing Theft of Gas.

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the assumptions I make from you description

-- Transco_Boo_Hiss

Reply to
Transco_Boo_Hiss