Gas guzzler Lawnboy

My 2-cycle Lawnboy has become a gas guzzler. I have gone from using one tank of gas to mow my lawn to almost two tanks. I use the recommended oil/gas ratio, have put on a new air filter (oiled), and have done nothing to cause the increase in gas consumption. The mower is about 8 years old and starts fine. Any ideas?

Reply to
JB in CT

Possibilities:

-- Same oil brand for mixing?

-- You didn't mention the spark plug?

-- Using faster blade speeds

-- Lower cutting depth?

-- Using higher mowing (walking) speeds to speed up the job?

-- Blades so worn they have to "tear" grass instead of "cut"?

-- Bent blades? More work to rotate them.

-- Self propelled? Lots of possibilities there.

-- Anything that makes the motor work harder -- Longer grass -- More weeds? -- ?? Anything in the gas tank that doesn't belong there?

-- LEAK; running thru deck where yuo can't tell it's leaking? Try running it on pavement see if it leaks anything.

How much gas is a "gas can"? They range from quart or less to a half gallon to 5 gallons & all in between, depending.

Reply to
Pop

Compression is getting low, motor is wearing out and needs more gas to make power.

Reply to
m Ransley

You are eight years older and walking slower.

Reply to
Al Bundy

A sharp blade will use less power. Use a premium-grade gasoline from a good-brand station. Clean (or replace) and gap the spark plug. Check for leaks (do you notice any gasoline smell?). I've noticed that I use more gasoline, the hotter the summer days.

Reply to
Phisherman

it could be your carb is dumping in to much fuel, a good leaning and readjust may help. lucas

Reply to
ds549

If you are really sure about that usage I suspect a leak somewhere. Maybe the tank is cracked if it's plastic or a rubber hose is cracked underneath where you don't see it. The fuel is shaking off and evaporating faster than can be noticed. It doesn't make sense to me that it could be burning twice what it was and still be running the same. By the way it might only be leaking when running as the vibration could open a crack somewhere.

Reply to
Al Bundy

At one time I noticed that my mower was using alot of gas. Took me a couple of tanks to find out that I had a slight crack in the fuel line going from the tank to the carb. I didn't notice any fuel puddles or anything in the shed, although gas will evaporate so that's why I didn't notice. I saw it leaking while I was using it, that's how I found the prob.

Reply to
LOKI

If it isn't leaking out and the mower is running well don't worry about it. Gas guzzler by definition but we aren't talking about a -lot- of gas. Maybe an extra quart per mowing. Don't let the EPA people find out though.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K