Gas Furnance 120000BTU

My furnance is about 44 years old (coleman).ha....! It is runing good now, only thing is I am paying about $375 a month just for gas in winter. But In summer it comes around $55. because we only use hot water. oh ya, my house is about 2000-2500sq feet.

My question is, Is there anyway doing maintaince for furnance and reduce my gas bill? or do I really need to buy a new furnance? Whats the right BTU for 2000-2500sq feet house? I would appreciate If anyone could give me some information or sugestion.

Thank you very much

Rinchin

Reply to
trinchin

Faced with the same situation 2 years ago, I oped for a new 96% efficient furnace and 18 seer AC unit. I've never regretted it. It will take a few years to recover the ~5k it cost at a few hundred per month, but as energy costs escalate, maybe not so long. The main thing is that the house is more comfortable at less cost per month. As to maintenance on your old one; if you have central air, the coil in the furnace plenum probably needs cleaned and that will seriously restrict air flow. Also use the cheap filters, the expensive ones are too restrictive, jut buy a case and change them once a month

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Not enough information. What is too Btu much in Georgia will freeze your ass off in Toronto. Type of house? Insulation? location? Construction?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

goto heatinghelp.com and click on "questions" along top menu bar. It will get you to "the wall". These guys are very knowledgeable in questions along your line. Good luck, Tom

Reply to
Tom

On the coldest days in the winter, how much of the time does your current run? I believe about 75% is a reasonsible amount. Furnace btu ratings are the energy of the gas used. A more efficient furnace will put out more of this heat. For example if your old furnace was 60% efficient it would put out 72,000 btu/hr. Likewise a new 90,000 btu/hr 80% efficient furnace would put out 72,000 btu/hr. These are ball park estimates. See what several contractors say.

Reply to
Jeff

Post your Q's to the Ask The Professor. The main part of the Wall is for boiler related stuff.

Reply to
HeatMan