Gas furnace question

This is Turtle.

I have install a many of high eff. Furnance in my time and have never run into a high or low acid content discharge water from them. OK Let's say there is such a things and we will deal with it. Get you a acid test kit and get me the acid reading of the water coming out with no tablet in it for a while and get the acid reading of 1 to 14 reading. Now 7 reading being normal water and get the reading and get back with me and I will get the right acid or Alkly tablets to use on it.

Now Also where is the furnace water being discharged into or what type system or is it dumped into the yard ?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I'm looking to replace an old oil furnace on a rural property with a propane furnace. I intend to do it myself. Since the property is just a hunting cottage I am not looking to spend a lot. I am actually looking for a used furnace if I can get one. My question is whether gas furnaces are specifically made for natural gas or propane, or are they all the same and just need a different orfice(s) intalled to match the type of gas used? Anyone know?

Thanks

Jimw

Reply to
Jimw

is google broken today?

charlie

I bought a new one and watched as the tech did a changeover to propane. While some may be shipped with the changeover already installed, they are essentially the same unit. Too bad I didn't know you a couple of years ago, I had 2 complete propane furnaces I scrapped out, one was in really good shape, I just couldn't imagine much of a market for them. I'd have gladly have given them away.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Usually different orifices.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You breath through one and you...... Never mind.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

And you go to the other orifice in the morning. "Honey, I'll be at the orifice, if anyone needs me".

Double entendre intentional.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Any old port in a storm...

Reply to
HeyBub

TDD beat me to the reply. Another possibility of flue gas not venting properly even with the vent pipe clean and intact is that the room is in a negative pressure and the gases are being sucked out of the draft diverter. The air going up the vent pipe has to be replaced by outside air somehow. Usually, especially with a small furnace like this one, enough air leakage occurs naturally. However, a fireplace or anything else that pulls air out of the house can cause a negative. Larry

Reply to
Lp1331 1p1331

Years ago I lived in a house with a fireplace and every time the bathroom vent was turned on, we smelled the odor of burning wood. The bathroom vent was pulling air back down the chimney into the house. Same thing can happen with a clothes dryer that is vented to the outside.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas