garburator and dishwasher back up

Hi Everyone, Have a dishwasher and garburator, everytime I run dishwasher and do not rinse out garburator, I get back-up of coffee grounds, etc. into sink where garburator is attached. Is there a defective anti-siphon or back-up valve, or is this normal and I have to make sure to rinse the garburator before using dishwasher???

Thanks, T in Alberta

Most dishwashers drain through the garbage disposal. You should always make sure the unit is clear before runniing the dishwasher.

Ken

Reply to
KenKM

If it's not backing up *into the dishwasher* I would say the anti-siphon device is working, as that's all it's designed to prevent.

No it is not normal but there shouldn't be anything left in the disposal if you're using it properly and it is working as designed. You most likely have a problem in the plumbing drain and it is time to call a plumber to check it out for you.

It could be a problem in the disposal but I think that is less likely.

JMO

Dan O.

- Appliance411.com

=Ð~~~~~~

Reply to
Dan O.

Most new houses are food injected. That garburated is a lot less efficient.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated