Garage door torsion shaft moves causing misalignment

Facts:

8' x 7' wooden sectional door with torsion spring and Liftmaster GDO in Chicago, IL

Background: A few months back my door stopped midway (on its way to close) and one of the cables came loose. We hired a pro who came and dinged me for replacing new cables. After 5 days, the same thing happened. I called him and he has recommended changing the whole setup ($680).

I installed new cables myself (yes, I played with death in winding the springs myself) but after 2-3 weeks, the same problem happened. I noticed this time that the cable drum on the left hand side (facing the door from inside the garage) was touching the bracket and that was causing the whole problem. I checked both cable drums and they were rock solid. What i mean is that the cable drum hadn't shifted but the whole torsion shaft had moved. Is there a diagnosis why the torsion shaft is moving?

I have to confess that the house is 50 years old and I am the 6th or

7th owner of this house and I don't know how old the door is. What would you recommend? I don't have a problem shelling out the dough for the new door but I really hate to pay if the only thing wrong is a small bearing someplace.

Any advise is really appreciated. If you recommend going for the new door - I have the option to go for Clopay ($680), Amarr ( $600) or CHI ($590). Any recommendations will be helpful.

Reply to
amolvb

It should be possible to unseat the drum set screws and move the drum to a spot where it doesn't rub against anything. Or else use that opportunity to remove a bit of material or bend the bracket just enough not to be in the way of the pulley drum.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

If you decide on a professional, I know a good one in the 'burbs. (No connection except as a satisfied customer.)

Reply to
clifto

One more suggestion. Is it possible to file down the cable drum rim so that it doesn't bind anymore? Of course make sure there is enough rim left not to let the cable slip out.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

To diagnose this you must first understand what is supposed to keep the torsion shaft from moving axially.

Likely your door has been reassembled improperly and/or missing some part(s). Like bushings that stand off the drums from the brackets.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch