Garage door opener with dip switchs

Can anyone tell me how(if possible) to program a garage door door opener with dip switches to a unit without them?

Reply to
mglidewell1318

I think the answer is you can't. The dip switch type was the old designs that used the switches to set a freq. With ten switches you'd get 1000 codes, not much security there, your neighbor could happen to pick the same codes or a thief could try them until he finds the right one. The newer ones using pseudo random keys and are far more secure.

Reply to
trader_4

Trader is right. There are a shit load of different garage door remotes. I just spent about 40 minutes getting educated myself. I was trying to match up 5 different Sears remotes and it turns out I have 4 different styles and they all look identical but they are not interchangeable. These are also the kind without switches.

If it turns out you can use a Liftmaster/ Craftsman/Sears 139.53879 I have one I will send you. It won't work with anything I have. This is a fairly good resource. They do other brands

gfretwell

My neighbor's garage door batteries died and I reprogrammed the remotes for her. or maybe the receiver for it.

Unfortunately it's been a while and memory is hazy. And I wish I'd saved the web site I found that told me how. But basically the opener receiver was not just brand and model but date specific. If installed before a different date there was a different way to program it. Like a cable box it learned the remote, but only by pushing something not intuitive in the right order.

Reply to
TimR

It still has to be on the right frequency and using the right protocol. There are some "universal" remotes that do a few different protocols but the frequency is usually fixed.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not possible. 2 totally different technologies.

Reply to
Clare Snyder