Garage Door Opener -- update

Funny you should mention the eye:

I recently inherited a house that came with a two car garage, both of which have electric garage door openers; neither equipped with the sensor. I have a car, pickup truck and a motorcycle I keep inside and naturally I wanted remotes for all three.

One opener is a Craftsman; the other is a Stanley. I went down to Lowes and purchased an universal remote and an universal wireless keypad made by Chamberlain. Programming the keypad made the remote stop working. Reprogramming the remote made the keypad stop working. I had initially placed the keypad on the larger side of the garage since it was the natural point of entry... more room.

So I moved the keypad to the other side of the garage where the remote and the keypad seemed to coexist peacefully. I patched the screw holes with some wood putty.

So then I just had the remote on my motorcycle. When I programmed it, the remote in the truck stopped working and vice versa. PITA. I looked on Chamberlain's web page for support and found all kinds of information about programming. Hell, I could program it; I just couldn't seem to get them to be programmed at the same time. I called the number given on the website and was treated to an audio version of the same information given on the website. Playing with all the phone choices I finally found one that seemed to lead to an actual person. I held for

40 minutes before I hung up.

In the meanwhile, I decided the problem had more to do with the original remote than the universal, so I replaced it with yet another new universal. BINGO! Now they all coexist as they should.

What does this have to do with the eye? Three days after I emailed their support site with my tale of woe, they finally got around to answering me. Due to the age of my garage door openers and the fact that they didn't come with sensors, Chamberlain did not support those products and strongly suggested I replace them both.

Well, they both work just fine. I live alone. I've had sensors in my garage in Charlotte and found them to be a PITA as they seemed to work too well. After waiting three days from an unresponsive support team only to ultimately receive a blow off was too much. I sent them a very nice FUVM note and when I finally do get around to replacing my openers, it's not going to be with a Chamberlain product. I think I'll try Overhead the next time.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

That is probably standard practice for all manufactures. Some 10 or 20 years ago a friend wanted me to fix his opener. I think it was Stanley. I contacted them to obtain a schematic and I got the same exact answer you got. I'm sure they are saving themselves against possible lawsuits for when a kid gets hurt or worse on something they still offer support for. It's not the manufactures, it's the sue happy people and lawyers.

Reply to
Tony

I bought one of those 3 button universal remotes. It cost me a little over $25,000.00, but it did come with a free SUV (I have always been a sucker for buying things that come with free bonus gifts).

I set it up to open both garage doors, but can't decide what to use the middle button to switch on and off. I have a remote control power bar...

Reply to
Ned Flanders

"Ned Flanders" wrote

The remote itself was cheap, but the weatherproof housing adds a bit to it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski