Garage door legal question.

White is an unethical twit. Yes, banks wrote a lot of paper to people they shouldn't have, with made-up dreamworld numbers. But they didn't hold a gun to anyone's head to get them to sign. Anyone who commits to a debt they can't afford SHOULD suffer some pain if their house of cards collapses. That is how mother nature educates people who didn't pick it up in school. I don't think the banks should be off the hook either- if they write bad paper, they should have to eat part of the loss.

Yes, I know, some people suffer financial reversals through no fault of their own, and should have a way to start over. That is what bankruptcy laws are for. But people who still have jobs, but happen to notice that their McMansion is worth less than they owe on it, I have little pity for. Shouldn't have bought such an ego palace in the first place, fool. Houses lower on the food chain have held their value a lot better, and you can still sell them for something close to what you paid, in most areas. There are several 10-year-old beige subdivisions around here, maybe 1/4 built out, that haven't had any new starts in five years. But due to the CCRs requiring McMansions, they won't be built out anytime soon. At some point, the developers will walk away from the vacant lots, and they will tax-revert to the city. Maybe they will sell them to the neighbors, or make some nice unofficial pocket parks once nature plants trees in them.

-- aem sends, ranting.....

Reply to
aemeijers

Garage doors are usually pretty heavy, and there is a lot of potential energy in the springs. Perhaps when Steve tries to steal the door, he'll be gravely injured and improve the gene pool.

Reply to
Not

Who knows why people who are in over their head just tend to KEEP DIGGING! I know 2 or 3 people in just that position. One coworker even asked me for some financial advice. I looked over his finances and found that while he was in pretty deep, if he quite spending he could pull his way out in about

2 years. He thanked me and we didn't speak of it for about a year. He finally cam back to me and said my plan had failed. I was puzzled until he let me look at his numbers again and found he was almost twice as far in debt as he was when I first advised him. What's more he count not show me one thing that he had bought for the $15K of debt he'd added in that year.

I apologized and walked away. He has since been foreclosed on.

Reply to
Mark

The last time I heard people at work discuss their credit card debt, I was amazed....$3K, $6K.....nothing, compared to the sad stories in the news every day. I think it pretty normal for young people to over-use cc's and learn from the experience, but the current problems are pretty scary. Like billions of dollars of value that have "evaporated", and I don't think the dust has settled, yet.

Reply to
norminn

That value was never there in reality. And if someone paid $1 million for a house that was worth $600K, that $400K didn't evaporate, it went to the smart seller.

I have a relative that has maxed out her credit cards, maxed out her HELOC, and still continues to spend foolishly. She went to get her relatively new Accord serviced and left the dealer with a new CR-V, that of course she not only over-paid for, but bought an extended warranty on.

Reply to
SMS

When one buys on cc, they essentially are loaned the money for goods and services. When they default, somebody loses.

Reply to
norminn

Yep feel really bad for the predatory credit card companies, that charge near loan shark rates......

NOT!!

They KNEW what percentage couldnt pay, what percentage would go bankrupt, what percentage of familys would be torn apart for their profit chasing........

just like the banks who made the sub prime loans.

everyone was making tons of money why worry?

look if the owner who is getting tossed out doesnt remove everything of value, some scrapper will while its vacant.

I feel sorry for EVERYONE this recession has hurt, and will continue to hurt for a lifetime.

if government hadnt been totally inept they would of thrown a life preserver to the sub primers before they sank our entire economy.

not untill trhe big boy wealthy banks began to fail; did government respond.

costing way more than helping at the beginning........

all parties in the $$$ feeding frenzy deserve what they are getting........

did you know anyone declaring bankruptcy get shiney new credit cards?

this happened to a old friend, the CC companies know she cant go bankrupt for 7 years lets feed again..........

the old rules of lending got forgotten:(

Reply to
hallerb

You forget that the government caused the problem to start with. In essence forcing Affirmative Action Lending on the banks. You should know that whenever government fixes something, the cure is worse than the disease.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Paul Krugman, who has a Nobel Prize in economics, has a different view

"Talk to conservatives about the financial crisis and you enter an alternative, bizarro universe in which government bureaucrats, not greedy bankers, caused the meltdown."

He includes minor details, like "only one of the top 25 subprime lenders was subject to the regulations."

Reply to
bud--

Not everyone...if mommy and daddy maxed out the credit cards, then burned through home equity to pay the bills, it will educate junior and, possibly, make a few people realize what "responsibility" means.

I feel the same, sometimes, but the costs filter down to responsible people who pay more for whatever the buy or borrow. There is a horrible level of entitlement among all classes of people in the US...the price of oil vs. conserving, max borrowing vs. saving for the future, the "I can't retire now because my 401k went down the tubes"? Hell, retire later then. I want to gag when I hear all of the bs about how to tell junior that Santa can't bring him EVERYTHING he WANTS.

I'd like to put some money in the bank so's they can make those hard-to-find loans :o) I could make, oh, 1%? I was trying to buy milk and baby food back when my parents were earning 13% on CD's. I think that was when Jimmy Carter was the hot candidate because he reduced the size of gov't in Georgia ..

I'm kind of puzzled that whenever everyone's most/least favorite president is named, Eisenhower's name never comes up. Did we worry too much about getting nuked to care what he did?

Horse hockey! It was a vast ____-wing conspiracy :o)In my little condo of 8 units, three are for sale, owned by (formerly?) very wealthy speculators....moaning about being unable to pay their mortgages but all sitting empty! Hell, wouldn't one at least rent them? Got a sewer line that needs repair, has backed up into our unit 3 times....I'd have to make friends with board members to get it done...they are pretty rough to deal with when one is "disagreeable".

Reply to
norminn

At least we can all agree about one thing, "greed" was involved.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

credit card companies provide instant credit to nearly every American with just folks signing their name. Interest rates are published up front. If you don't like the terms, don't borrow their money! We could go back to pre credit card days where loan sharks offered you credit at about 100% interest per month and liked to break your legs if you were late on your payments. Credit cards made cash advances an option for everyone at reasonable (maybe a bit high) rates, but not outrageous and not 'hidden'. paul

Paul Oman

--=EF=BF=BD-------------------------------------------------------------

CC companies, seeing a borrower in distress raise rates to 35% tacking on late fees and over limit fees, rather than work with customer, they prey on those in trouble.

then they wonder why people go bankrupt..........

recently they raised rates on even borrowers with perfect credit.

pushing pre approved cards on those in trouble only makes things worse.

bankruptcy and foreclosure ruins peoples lives, and breaks up familys.

thats horrible

Reply to
hallerb

Master Betty

WARNING!! WARNING!! CUTE OVERLOAD!!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Maybe he took out an equity loan and had bought an expensive car that he wanted to protect.

This first started, I was reading about a poor woman in California that bought a house for $150,000 but now could not afford the $300,000 she owed on it. Poor baby.

Reply to
Frank