Garage door help!

I received a single 7x9 clopay garage door from someone replacing their door. It has all the hardware and even the installation instructions. I have been for a week trying to =93retrofit=94 it to my

12x16 shed.

I have the track installed and can manually move it up or down but have tried and tried and cant get the torsion spring to work in helping with raising and lowering the door. I have done it countless times all that ends up happening is the wire on the pulleys on both ends end up =93birdnesting=94 and going everywhere. Yesterday it actually helped bull it up before it finally birdnested.

What can I do? Would having one pulley slightly higher than the other cause this problem? I have had to do the best job I could with the limited room I have.

Another thing I noticed is when I manually raise the door, the bottom roller seems to be in a different place on the track on one side verses the other. I measured the tracks on both sides though and they seem to be the same height.

One last thing when I put it all the way up the end of the door just barely touched a support on my shed roof. Just enough where the door wants to come down rather than stay in the upright position. Is there something I can add or do to keep the door up?

Anyway I appreciate any help as this is driving me nuts and my wife is tired of me spending all my time on this!

Reply to
stryped

Sounds like you are not locking the torque spring to the shaft after tensioning it. Are you tensioning it in the right direction? Are the cables coming off the spool? Hard to say not seeing what you are doing. You have to rotate the spring torsion base until you have enough lifting tension on the cables. It is a dangerous operation if you do not know what you are doing. Get a qualified installer to fix it.

Reply to
"Blattus Sl

I am tigntening the set screws. The wire is coming off the end spools.

Reply to
stryped

It sounds like you are winding the wrong way or the drum is not lined up

Reply to
gfretwell

How do you ensure the drum is lined up?

Reply to
stryped

If the cable is tracking off the spool then it is not winding on perpendicular to it and at an angle instead. Either the spools are crooked or the cable is not straight or the cable is getting caught on the door somewhere and making the cable track off the spool.

Reply to
"Blattus Sl

Any secret to ensure everything is perpedicular to it?

Reply to
stryped

Make sure the door is straight and level. It sounds to me like you have more tension on one side than on the other. The low-tension side will be more likely to jump off the spool.

Reply to
Steve

Observation.

Reply to
"Blattus Sl

This is really strange. I have installed a number of Clopay doors, they are dead simple to install. Do you have the model with the easy wind spring tensioner, or the old fashioned kind you have to use two steel rods to wind?

I can't even imagine the cable birdnesting, it is under considerable tension at all times. It is hard to get things misaligned, as the cable drums only go one place. Be sure you have the left and right drums on the correct side. Be sure the spring is wound the right direction.

Reply to
DT