Gap in sidewalk

Norminn, you're back. I started to confuse you with Normin.

Check satellite view of some map site. Your condo has fallen in to a simk hole.

Reply to
micky

Backer rod. It can be found either in the concrete supply section or where the weatherstripping stuff is.

It can be one of the purposes, especially in rural areas, where there are lawns, landscaping, etc. There are people that don't want those hassles.

Furthermore, I don't think a condo

It's how all the condos around here are organized. As someone else described, pretty much everything beyond the interior walls are the responsibility of the condo association. Roofs, sidewalks, decks, lawn, landscaping, siding, exterior painting, etc.

All of those should be part of the closing documents and he should have a copy.

But again, it's a small gap in a sidewalk and if he wants to just spend $5 and fix it himself, I'd probably do the same thing.

Reply to
trader_4

The OP appears to be in Illinois. He has freeze-thaw cycles. Mortar in that crack wouldn't last long.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Short of mud jacking or replacing it, I doubt there is anything you can do to fix it permanently.

If it were me - and if the space is wide enough - I'd get some pebbles or crushed rock and fill in with that. I would also dig down 3-4" at each end of the joint and make little dams of mortar to contain the pebbles/crushed rock.

Reply to
dadiOH

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com posted for all of us...

Isn't this the condo assn bailiwick?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I couldn't quite tell for sure from the photos, but it looks to me that the gap is not between the sidewalk and the porch. To me, it looks like what happened is that the sidewalk just dropped down, but it is otherwise in the same position relative to the porch that it always was, except that its dropped down a couple of inches. I think that the exposed "gap" that we see, which is really just the space UNDER the porch -- not a horizontal gap between the porch and the sidewalk.

If that is the case, then to eliminate the visible "gap", I think that all that is needed is to fill in under the porch which, in effect would just hide the vertical gap. In fact, although I didn't mention it before, I would probably drop a thin barrier (maybe even just a thin piece cardboard like a pizza box) down to cover the end of the sidewalk. Then, I would put the concrete or mortar under the porch to fill the gap, and the concrete or mortar would adhere to and become a part of the bottom of the existing concrete porch, but it would not bond with the sidewalk due to the barrier. That way, there wouldn't be any expansion or contraction issues to worry about.

Reply to
TomR

Is that sidewalk poured in place or is it precast slabs? Sure looks like slaps - which I would lift and reset in stone fines.

Reply to
clare

No, if you read his description, he clearly says the sidewalk has not sunken down, there is just a horizontal gap. And I think what appears to be an inch or two height difference is actually a lot bigger, ie a normal step up height difference between sidewalk and porch.

I think that the exposed "gap" that we

Reply to
trader_4

Of course.

From what I hear, quite a few people in this n'hood didn't get their documents at closing, although this is an HOA, which has less of a relationship with residents than do condos and co-ops. Does someone from the condo or co-op association attend the closing, usually? He wouldl bring a copy. Because certainly no one** from the HOA here has ever attended. So at the very end of the closing the seller remembered to give me his documents. If he'd forgotten, or forgotten to bring them (If he'd packed them with his other stuff) or if he just didn't care, I'd have had to scrounge them too. Or if he'd only given me part of them.

**Not counting when the developers themselves controlled the HOA.

Yes, for this. But he should get things straight for the next bigger project. And I'm sure you would say, as I did above, Of course.

Reply to
micky

No.

He

If I was buying a property with a HOA, I'd get a copy of the HOA documents before even making an offer.

Reply to
trader_4

A Google search doesn't help much. For example, here is a link to a list of many different types of Ardex products:

TomR

You may be right. If so, and it is actually a horizontal gap, I agree that some flexible caulk would probably be the easiest fix for now. There is a kind of flexible caulk (maybe called "Quad") that comes in a gray color that I have used before and it works well. And, I'm sure that there are flexible concrete crack sealers that also come in a tube.

I do see that there is a normal step height from where the old caulk line is and the top of the concrete porch. I just meant that it looked to me that the sidewalk had dropped down an inch or two below what was the original caulk line -- and the old caulk line is/was at the right location to be at the bottom of a normal step height to the porch. Now, Ihowever, I am not completely sure if the gap is horizontal or vertical -- maybe some side angle photos would help clear that up.

But, you are right that the OP wrote in a follow-up post:

"The concrete moved away from the step, not sunken below."

And, that would support the theory that it is a horiz "My intention is to fill the gap, not raise or move the concrete. yes there is a water problem where the gutter just empties onto the sidewalk a few feet back. I think you are correct, there is probably not a proper base or footer under the walk."

Some of that sounds more like there is erosion under the sidewalk and that it did drop down over time. So, I am just not sure.

And, if it did drop down, and if it were me, I would also consider just prying up the slab to the right height and putting more dirt etc. underneath. I have done that before may times to fix uneven sidewalks. But, the OP is in a condo association and probably doesn't want to do that kind of work, and would probably prefer just a quick fix with a crack sealer, or mortar/concrete, depending on what is there and what would work best.

Reply to
TomR

I posted 2 more pics:

1st from directly above (vertical)

2nd from almost horizontal.

The first shows the gap movement away from the step. The 2nd pic shows there may have been 1/4" drop, pic is a little misleading. BTW, it is rain snow mix here.

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

Thanks for doing more photos. Since the sidewalk mostly moved away from the step, and may have dropped about 1/4 inch down, I agree with others that suggested to just clean out the gap and fill it with a flexible outdoor caulk. I think it should be a quick and easy job. I'm sure there are concrete crack sealer caulks in Home Depot and Lowes etc, and I would be looking for one that says that it remains flexible. I also think that there is a type of caulk in the caulk and sealant aisles that is called "Quad". That works well. Get it in grey color.

Reply to
TomR

Pick up some foam backer rod to fill in most of the gap first too.

Reply to
trader_4

Last Question: Presently the temps here in IL are in the Upper teens to low 30's. what is the minimum temp needed to use these materials and make them work ? Unusually cold Nov., maybe this should wait until March ?

Thanks

Reply to
sidwelle

The answer to that will be on the tube of the product. You can probably also find it online in the product spec. Most of the common ones I've seen are for 40F and above, not freezing, etc. Also, it's going to take longer to cure at lower temps. You could get some relief by throwing an old coat over it, etc. But if it's in the teens, I'd wait for Spring if using the typical stuff. I'm sure they have others that probably do to lower temps. Also, if you do proceed, make sure to use some backer rod or similar so that the caulk isn't 1" deep. The thicker it is, the longer to cure. Better to put down a couple installments a couple days apart, instead of one thick one.

Reply to
trader_4