Galvanized stell pipe

My house was built in the 1950's and it has galvanized steel pipe inside the walls and foundation and the past year i have noticed VERY BAD AND SLOW draining the worst its ever been and i was wondering what is the way to go about trying to fix the problem

Reply to
jscotch2o

Galvanized should never be used for drain and waste lines (although I've run into a lot in that era that was, too).

You're only real cure is to replace it.

--

Reply to
dpb

Iron pipe will eventually corrode and clog. It has to be replaced. There is no way to clean out the insides of it. A snake may get you some temporary relief, but it does not fix the real problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Galvanised pipe is not normally used for drain lines. Cast iron or plastic is all I have seen in my long years. Cast does not corrode over a normal lifetime of a house but may build up blockages. If they are are cast iron, a rotorooter may be able to clear them. If they indeed are galvanised, your only choice is replacement as they do corrode.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K