Fuse Electrical Panel Cover

Hello, I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a picture:

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better, know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

Reply to
john.deweyski

You're dreaming, for sure.

Better get out the tin snips and make one.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

A better idea would be to replace the panel with something more current. Insurance companies are frequently charging more or not writing policies at all for old panels like that. Not that there is anything wrong with an old panel if properly maintained and not overloaded, but most are overloaded these days since the original handful of circuits aren't sufficient for today's expectations of appliances and A/C.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

Your panel does not include a disconnect switch for it's load so it must be located separately, probably just beside it. This is a plus, because it makes changing over to another up-to-date panel sooooo easy. The cost will be minimal and allow you many more circuits and a change from fuses to breakers. Don't waste any more time looking for an unidentifiable cover, spend your time looking for a nice new modern replacement.

Reply to
EXT

Kinda' hard to tell from that pic, but if the left-land panel was downstream of the service disconnect it would (should) have an insulated neutral - I think that's the feed from the meter is entering at the bottom, heading up to a cartridge fuse block which serves as the service disconnect - at the top left, around =BE of the way up, you can see a double tap of red to black, the (smaller) black wire appears to be exiting the panel the lower right, probably to the partially visible panel to the right (let's hope there's a disconnect means at the bus there - otherwise it's contnually energized).

I think the blown fuse, second from bottom on the right, is a nice touch as well..

Michael Thomas Paragon Home Inspection, LLC Chicago, IL mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom

847-475-568
Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

"disconnects"... when split buss.

Reply to
MDT at Paragon Home Inspection

As was mentioned by another poster, it's time to consider upgrading to circuit breakers.

You will not be able to obtain a replacement from the factory even if the company is still in business. I think that your best bet is to ask your neighbors, since they may have, or had at one time the same fuse panel. If one of them gets an upgrade ask for their old cover. You can search EBAY, old junk yards, salvage yards, maybe even an old electrical supply house, but without a brand name and model number it will be extremely difficult to find a match.

Another option is to have one fabricated. You will need to make a detailed drawing with specific locations and measurements of each necessary opening. Though without an example to show the fabricators it may not be a perfect fit. It will also cost more per unit to make just one than it would to make

10 or 20.

Your best option is to have a few electrical contractors come in and give you some prices on a new circuit breaker panel and possibly a service change.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Thanks for all the postings! I understand that the circuit breaker is the way to go, but I am looking for a quick fix for a short period of time for now. I've tried asking for old panel covers somebody might have saved, but no luck so far. The pull out has GE on it, but I am not sure if the panel is the same. Even so, I know that nobody manufacture these any more. I'll keep looking for now and hope I can find a solution.

Thanks for all who try to help!

John

John Grabowski wrote:

Reply to
john.deweyski

You best chance is to make a good pattern from stiff cardboard that fits and take to a metal fab shop. They can bang you out one from galvanized steel. Nothing says this cover has to be metal. If you can find a plastic retailer who sells PVC sheet you could cut out a cover with a jigsaw, using your pattern. PVC is what electric boxes and nonmetalic conduit are made of. I suppose if you had the patience you could cut a metal one too. Just be sure to deburr the edges. Saw cut metal is rough.

Reply to
gfretwell