canopy cover. where to find?

I have a canopy purchased at sams clud a few years back. its brown on iron posts 12' x 12' that has dry rotted. anybody know where to find a replacement top? ive lost the paper work but if memory serves all it said was better homes and gardens. not much to go on i know but.... probly made in china. thanks

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

I had the same problem with a 12 x 12 tent gazebo bought at Sam's Club a few years ago. Mine was all wood framed with the trellis type corners. Mine had worn where the canopy laid over the corner roof trusses until they just tore, probably due to wind. I was unable to locate the manufacturer of the gazebo and I would suspect that the cost of the canopy would probably be close to the cost of the entire unit. Also, Sam's did not have a new unit of the same construction. Fortunately, my sister-in-law had the same gazebo and she was getting rid of it. I took the canopy, which was intact. I know this doesn't answer your question, but before I got my SIL's canopy, I was going to have one made at an awning and flag store about

40 miles away. I never actually contacted them, so I don't know what the cost would have been. You might check to see if there is one near you.
Reply to
willshak

thanks. thats what we feared.

Reply to
skeezics

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 14:18:50 GMT, skeezics scribbled this interesting note:

A number of years ago we bought one of those canopy type car ports or garages from Sam's for about $200.00. A couple of years ago the white canopy finally became useless due to wind and age and UV light.

I went to the manufacturer of the unit at:

ordered a new top for it. Just the top. This unit comes with five tarps, one for each side, the ends, and the top. We just needed the top. The total cost, including shipping, was just over $50.00.

Look around. You'll find the manufacturer and a new top won't be all that much.

-- John Willis snipped-for-privacy@airmail.net (Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

Reply to
John Willis

I checked with a "friend" of mine that I used to build awnings with. He has a Consew walking foot sewing machine, and does Raven Mills Sunbrella projects. He wanted $1,000 for a ten by ten. I went and bought a $175 gazebo with new top. If you have a lightweight frame common to big store gazebos, the heavier awning canvas will overload it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

nope not light weight and its bolted to the concrete deck. i realy dont want to tear it up and assemble a new one. it came with heavy canvas, it just got old and tore when we took it down for winter,

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

been searching but have not found the same one yet. but i will! lol.. just wish i could remember the manufacturer's name. CRS sucks.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Nice friend! Awning canvas comes in all thicknesses. The usual awning canvas is lightweight, because it rides on lightweight framing. The OP said he had iron framing. It might be the decorative wrought iron type framing. I live in the NE US and due to heavy snowfalls, I have to put it up and take it down annually. I know that my 12 x 12 canopy is really heavy and is a bear to drape over the wooden roof frame. It has a waxy feel to it, and it seems that each Spring and Fall it gets heavier, but that might be just me. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Of course Sunbrella will last about seven years if exposed 24/7 here in the Florida sun and rain. The lightweight canvas lasts one year under the same conditions.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Here's a place to have one made.

and click on manufacturing. They have many reinforced fabrics from which to chose.

Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

clipped

You might try a camping store - they have all kinds of "shelter", including tents. Probably could sew one with your own style of fasteners to make it easier to put up and take down. Would shade clotch work?

Reply to
Norminn

if all else fails, you can look in yellow pages under tailor/seamstress..............hold onto your old canopy, it can be used as a pattern.

Reply to
readandpostrosie