furnace not working

If I have a Raywall/TPI furnace that isn't working, is there anything I can do and or check to get it working again other then call a tech?

The Thermostat seems to work ok. The furnace fan pushes air normally, but the air ins't getting hot llike it used to. The air out of the vents is kind of warm but wont get as hot or warm like is used to. It seems that the furnace just runs and runs and wont shut off without getting the house warm.

Please help

Reply to
JillAdams

Check your air filter, if it is warm and blowing it is operating.

Reply to
m Ransley

Don't bother calling anyone.

Just keep turning the thermostat up and down. Over and over again. Then pray for spring to get here....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Gas or oil? Can you see or hear a flame? Oil furnaces --- some have a window iiuc, but others have a round door you can lift to see the flame, but use a one foot stick, because they get hot. I don't think a pot holder would be sufficient, and mine would be hard to grip with one.

What part of the country? When was the last time it was serviced?

mm

Are you saying I need a new furnace?

Reply to
JillAdams

Electric. It woudl be easier if I had a gas furnace then I could see if there was flame or not.

All the tags and stickers are upside down including the one inspection sticker which says Inspected by and 6712011. Other then that I have no idea of when it was inspected last. I'm in pacific northwest.

Reply to
JillAdams

That's the factory inspection tag :)

If you don't know how something is supposed to work then you don't know how to fix it, it's that simple. If it's resistance heat only, then obviously all of the elements aren't coming in. If OTOH it's a heat pump, then the possibilities are endless. If you don't know what to check, then you probably don't know how to check it either, and you could end up creating bigger problems, you could even get hurt. Worst case scenario, you burn down your house. Do yourself a favor and have it checked out out by a professional.

Richard Perry

Reply to
RP

Jill, Check the circuit breakers in the main panel. Some electric furnaces will have more than one breaker feeding it. An electric furnace will be powered by 240 volts, so it will be fed by 2 pole breakers. Many electric furnaces have fuses in them. If you can't test the fuses, you can jusat replace them, but it is best to remove them and test them with a continuity tester. Turn the power off at the breaker panel before you remove the fuses. They will be 30 amp and 60 amp cartridge fuses. This is common in manufactured housing.

Past that will require a service technician. Could be a bad element, bad heat sequencer, bad wire, bad limit..... You get the idea. Repolacing these parts is not a DIY job.

Good luck

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch

If you stare at your furnace really really hard and really really long.........and click your ruby slippers together 3 times and say, "There's no place like home".......your furnace should start warming up. If that doesnt work, replace your thermostat because that's what everyone always thinks is the problem. If that doesnt work, replace your furnace because you want one that works Bubba

Reply to
Bubba