Funace Question...

Hello guys,

We're wanting to do our own funace installation. We're pretty handy but we've never done a furnace installation before. We've got everything mapped out and parted out and just need to order and install all the duct work. Since it will be getting cold here over the next few weeks, we were hoping that we could use the furnace while it's not hooked up to the duct work. In other words, is it okay to run the furnace with no duct work going to it (be it supply or return) just so we can create heat in the basement while we're working? We'll have everything else hooked up correctly and permanently like the supply air for the flame, vent pipping, gas hook up, and electrical...

Thanks!

Reply to
sx460

Why not connect the trunk line first? I would be worried about dirt and debris inside the unit if there was still construction going on. What are you going to use for a thermostat? A toggle switch?

Reply to
SQLit

Yes, in the many years I've done HVAC, I've done that a couple times. Usually we like to get the supply plenum hooked up. But I do remember the one time it was cooking hot outside. The other guy and me had just hooked up the copper to the outside condensing unit. We had a couple feet of supply duct hooked up. One of us thought of firing that baby up to cool the cellar. Worked slick as could be.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Best thing to do is get a troll box for temporary installation.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

Be sure to have a filter installed to prevent too much dust getting into unit and keeping the system clean.

Reply to
George C. Fahrlender