Fuel Conditioner (Sta-Bil)

Is there a shelf life? Thanks Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Yea, I think so, but I would give it a half life of a number of years.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Yes! Although there is no expiration date printed on the container, Stabil has a two year shelf life once you open the container and break the original seal.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Sez who?

Reply to
Ether Jones

The manufacturer!

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer? 2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

So, there's no date printed on the container, but once you open the bottle it's no good in two years. Sounds to me like they want to have their cake and eat it too. They don't want retailers returning outdated unsold product, but they don't want consumers nursing a bottle for 5 years. Pardon my skepticism.

Reply to
Ether Jones

What's the shelf life of gasoline? It doesn't come with an expiration date either. A factory sealed container isn't subject to its contents absorbing moisture, nor oxidizing from from the air. These are the same factors that cause the degradation of gasoline, only gasoline goes bad much faster... There was a company a while back selling a "gelled" emergency gas "can" that you could carry around in your trunk sealed for an extended period. I'm sure the seal had as much to do with keeping it fresh as did any additives or modifiers they put in it.

Reply to
Husky

I have an old opened bottle of Stabil in my garage that I haven't gotten around to diposing. It has turned a nasty darker color and appears to have some solids floating around in it. I sure wouldn't use it!

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

How old?

I have a 5-year-old bottle that looks and smells the same as the day I bought it. Of course, I don't leave the bottle uncapped.

Reply to
Ether Jones

The analogy is weak. Gasoline is not sold in sealed containers. No claim is made by the manufacturer that a retailer could keep a sealed can of gasoline on the shelf indefinitely and sell it as new.

Are you claiming that a sealed can of gasoline would remain "fresh" indefinitely?

Reply to
Ether Jones

Probably about the same age. I don't leave the cap off either, silly. There are a few ounces remaining. How do you know yours looks and smells the same as it did five years ago? Hard to believe you have an accurate memory of what it looked and smelled like 5 years ago, or that you examined it that closely when you bought it back then.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Because I also have a newer bottle, silly.

Reply to
Ether Jones

How do they taste?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Why do you have a newer bottle of you think the old one is okay? ;^)

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Tastes great. Less filling.

Reply to
Ether Jones

The old one is running low. I picked up a new one on sale. C'mon, this isn't rocket science.

Reply to
Ether Jones

But... why would you open the new one if there is still product left in the old one, and you think it never deteriorates? Hmmmm... :^)

I'm not sure about using it in rockets either. There's nothing on the label to argue for or against it, though!

CWM

?
Reply to
Charlie Morgan

To compare it to the old one. Come on, Charlie.

I never said I think it never deteriorates. I said I was skeptical about the claim that it has an indefinite shelf life while on the retailer's shelf, yet when the consumer takes it home and starts to use it, it's only good for two years.

Reply to
Ether Jones