FS Six 20A outlet shop electrical panel, each outlet protected

Well, this device is not portable and is not for plugging into receptacles, it is for permanent wiring. If you build a steel enclosure for it, then it could be made portable, but it was not meant to be.

By the way, the device is sold.

Exactly. They are overcurrent protection devices.

Ignoramus21810

Wow, who knew this would generate so many posts!

I goofed in that 120A supply would not be needed. In fact 20A branch circuit protection in the panel would be adequate. Of course, then it would defeat the purpose of the device, because the branch circuit breaker would be tripping continually. In order to have adequate power for multiple shop tools, you would need to increase the amperage supplied to the device. The 30A 220V feeder would be a practical solution, however as was pointed out in a previous post, this would be non-code-compliant because you would be 'over-fusing' the individual receptacle wiring in the device.

I still have a problem with the solder-only, non-insulated connections. If something goes awry and the device's overcurrent protection device overheats, the solder will melt. You could end up with a hot wire make contact with a metal box...

I'm assuming this device was part of a UL approved UPS. That's fine so long as it is in the original unit. Once the device is removed, it is not UL approved for the new application. The problem is that a DIY (again, no offence intended--I am one too) may use an inappropriate device box or mount the device unsafely, or over-fuse the device.

And as far as legal liability, I'm not a lawyer, but if someone's house burnt down as a result of this device, I'm sure a lawyer would get lots of mileage out of OP if they had a way to find him/her.

I'm sure the device is worth the asking price of 25$ just for the component parts, but if anyone does purchase this device, it should be used for just that--parts.

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
John Lovallo

Didja look at the title of the thread? The original post where Igor referred to his multi-receptacle device as a "panel"? Do you recall referring to Igor's multi-receptacle device as a "panel" yourself?

It seems to me "panel" has been used pretty consistently to refer to the multi-receptacle device that is the subject of this thread.

Your guess is correct.

I did in my first post...

******************************************** Igor: "That each outlet has its own breaker, is a feature similar to what a subpanel provides (protection for individual circuits). A power strip,at best, protects the entire strip.

My response: "But the the breakers in this "panel" are not qualified for branch circuit protection, so it doesn't qualify as a subpanel by any stretch of the imagination, and if it were wired permanently to a breaker larger than 20A would violate the NEC. Depending on its construction, it may or may not be legal if permanently wired to a 20A circuit. The safest bet is to use it as a good rugged power strip."

I quoted the NEC only because Igor asked for a specific provision of the NEC that supported my assertion that using his "panel" as he originally suggested would be a violation.

I don't know how to help if your objection is that an individual post may be ambiguous after earlier posts have been snipped in follow-ups, and when taken out of the context of the entire thread.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Sorry - did not see that.

Nope - that's not my objection Ned. I had missed at least some of the replies in this thread. I read all that I saw, but obviously not all of them made it to me from my ISP. There seems to be only a couple or a few replies that I did not receive for some reason, so viewed in the context of what appeared to have been a complete discussion, your later comments did not make sense. At least now they do and I understand what you are trying to say. Thanks for hanging in there on this one.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Now, a killer question. How come the breakers on the panel do not qualify as overcurrent protection devices under NEC. They are, after all, designed to interrupt the line if the current exceeds the rated amount. The whole issue of just how much current can be supplied to the panel, is depending on the answer to this question.

Ignoramus21810

No wonder you felt like you were guessing at what I meant.

I should have realized earlier something was amiss; my earliest post showed up on one machine here, but not the other. I was afraid you were going to insist that each post stand on its own as if it were a formal research paper . Glad we were able to avoid a shouting match.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

It's a good question. I went through this a year ago when building a large industrial control panel. Usually when I do this sort of thing it's for a self contained piece of automation I've built, so this issue does not come up because the connections to the various devices are not "premises wiring" and do not constitute a branch circuit. In the case in question there were many pumps and fans powered by the panel spread around a large room, with their wiring mingled with the plant wiring.

Even though you can buy a suitable CB for your home panel for a few dollars, and the miniature circuit breakers (MCBs) referenced in the article below are reasonably priced, the breakers approved for branch circuit protection and suitable for use in an industrial control enclosure start around $200/ea for a 3 phase device, and are physically very large. We ended up protecting the conductors leaving the cabinet with Class CC fuses, which are approved for the use. By the time you buy the fuses and a quality finger safe holder, they're more expensive than the MCBs.

Here's a link to MCBs...

and the big molded case breakers...

This article is a pretty good summary of the issue. If you want to google up more the key words are "supplementary protection", UL 489, and UL 1077.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

| Now, a killer question. How come the breakers on the panel do not | qualify as overcurrent protection devices under NEC. They are, after | all, designed to interrupt the line if the current exceeds the rated | amount. The whole issue of just how much current can be supplied to | the panel, is depending on the answer to this question.

Reminds me of another old question: can an electric range listed for direct connection to a 60A branch circuit have 15A utility outlets protected by small panel-mounted pop-up circuit breakers? At one time the answer appears to have been yes since I had such a thing.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani