Frozen well pump - help!

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 11:33:35 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior down in the well. The "pump" that's frozen is the pump unit that's at

See a diagram of a yard hydrant here:

Gerry Atrick

I understand perfectly well how they work. You, apparently, did not understand what I wrote. Perhaps you should re-read it. My point was that it doesn't matter whether the hydrant is shut off before, or after, the pump -- as long as it is shut off.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:Zvxxh.1017$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

I'm near Greencastle. Originally I'm from NY, tho. How do you like them Colts, eh? I saw The Bills go to the Superbowl four times and lose but got a Superbowl team in IN. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

Been a Colts fan since they moved here. We've waited a *long* time for this, and I'm loving every minute of it.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Still frozen after 24 hours. :(

Anyone know how I can create a hole in the ozone right over the hydrant?

-12 overnight was probably not a big help in getting anything thawed even WITH heat tape and insulation.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 17:18:11 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

Reply to
Goedjn

"FragileWarrior"

Reply to
JerseyMike

Reply to
Art Todesco

depending on the size of the tent contraption....it'll melt or burn it up. those heaters put out too many btu's. she needs direct heat source to the pipe and ground surface not just ambient warm air. like a thremal blanket.

mike........

Reply to
JerseyMike

Art Todesco wrote in news:zRNxh.2823$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.net:

I don't own one and I don't know anyone who does. Nor can I find one for rent and I'm not buying one just for this. Plus, it wasn't a canvas tarp, it was a plastic one. It would have been a blue plastic puddle real quick. :)

Reply to
FragileWarrior

"JerseyMike" wrote in news:s0Oxh.534428$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I think I'm going to give up and wait this out. Everyone THINK SPRING for me.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

In article , FragileWarrior for me.

You won't have to wait for spring. We'll have above-freezing temperatures again soon. My guess is by Valentine's Day. What we're experiencing right now is unusual for central Indiana: "normal" February weather is lows in the low

20s and highs in the upper 30s. Normal weather for today's date is low 20, high 37.

Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:wXPxh.71490$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

God, I hope so. Gunga Din, I'm not.

Reply to
FragileWarrior

I'm glad you got parole.

I spent JHS and HS in Indianapolis.

WAs there two years ago for my uncle's funeral. The city is bigger but nothing else has changed.

It might have been on this group I mentioned how they motor boat in one of the city's two reservoirs, and people didn't believe me. (They only have sail boats in the other.)

Reply to
mm

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 00:13:30 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior I made this mistake??

Didn't you make the mistake precisely because the pipe was frozen and there was no water coming out? If there had been water coming out, you would have turned it off.

This is a variation on those where there is a water main break and they turn their faucet on and when no water comes out, they don't close it again. Then when the water is repaired, the water comes out full blast, and overflows the sink etc.

I think most people** do this until they have some bad experience, although often that is a very small one.

**Any mistake one has made, he is likely to attribute to "most people".
Reply to
mm