Fried Controls?

Hi group, Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or something. after power was restored most electronics in the house came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave (Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems.

the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards.

any ideas/info appreciated pax h2 pax, h2

Reply to
h2

It sounds like you get really fried by a power surge.

You may want to start by contacting your insurance company or at least read your policy to see if you may be covered.

Each of the items you listed are likely to require repair or replacement.

I suggest you consider getting whole house surge protection and then some point source protection for the more expensive and sensitive items.

I have had only one power surge damage and I do have whole house protection and some point source protection. The one item I had damaged was my A/C unit that was just a few feet away from the spot on the ground where the lightning hit. That was very close to my home. I consider myself lucky and the repair was very cheap, it damaged a small circuit board that was not really needed.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If the small circuit board wasn't needed, why did you have it repaired?

Reply to
Travis Jordan

'Hi group, Our house had a power failure, local pole struck by lighting or something. after power was restored most electronics in the house came back on, tv's, refrigerator, clocks &ct. our cable boxes appear to be shot but more importantly, our over the range microwave (Whirlpool) and stove (Kenmore #66575029) seem to have problems. the microwave won't come on at all and the Kenmore appears to have lost power to the section controlling the oven. the electronic top burners will light, but no readout on the back panel (no clock, none of the touchpad controls function) and we can't light the oven. I suspect some type of power supply to the oven control boards. any ideas/info appreciated pax'

ME: Id get a surge protector mounted on your Main Electrical Panel for future adversitys. Whatever got scrambled in your home, the Electric Utility wont be responsible for .

Reply to
JustCallMe Norman

Most modern consumers would consider the cable boxes much more important than the range or microwave. Are you daft, man?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

hi group, thanx for the replies, anyone have any suggestions as to the parts of the oven control that would probably be damaged (Kenmore stove #66575029)? by the way, that whole house surge protection sounds like a great idea

wrote: It sounds like you get really fried by a power surge.

You may want to start by contacting your insurance company or at least read your policy to see if you may be covered.

Each of the items you listed are likely to require repair or replacement.

I suggest you consider getting whole house surge protection and then some point source protection for the more expensive and sensitive items.

I have had only one power surge damage and I do have whole house protection and some point source protection. The one item I had damaged was my A/C unit that was just a few feet away from the spot on the ground where the lightning hit. That was very close to my home. I consider myself lucky and the repair was very cheap, it damaged a small circuit board that was not really needed.> Hi group,

pax, h2

Reply to
h2

This part?

Travis Jordan

Check with your home insurance. We had a lightning strike that wiped out 2 computers. Insurance covered repairs (less deductable) W W

Reply to
Warren Weber