Fridge running warm.

I have a Montgomery Ward who knows how old side by side fridge. Its been warm recently (high 90's) and the fridge is now at 50 degrees. I've searched thru google groups and have since opened up the mechanical door and turned the tempature down. The door looks to be in fine working condition. I don't know how this has effected the fridge yet.

I can take a piece of card board to the fan on the freezer side and stop it. It seems to be spin right back up to speed. Something I've noticed is that when I first open up the door I hear a werrrr noise the sounds like the fan is struggling. If I shake the fridge for a second it seems to speed up and not sound like its struggling. Is the fan supposed to run at different speeds?

Thoughts?

Thanks Sage

Reply to
Sage Cowsert

The fan is on the way out. That can account for the freezer being OK, but the fridge not cold enough. Replace it asap. You may be able to give it a shot of lube and keep it going until you get the new fan, but it is a temporary cure, not a real fix. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Hi,

trouble makers and simple things to check for.

Not normally, a frost or blockage of air flow can also effect the fans ability to blow/turn ok....

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

No Sir the fan is not supposed to run at different speeds, either take it out and clean it with a vacum (including the blades, being very carful not to bend them) and re-oil the filter through the little slots on the back of the motor (the fan blades should be able to swivel freely on the motor base to avoid noise and vibrations. OR buy a new one from an applicince parts store.

Reply to
Mowerman