Fridge Plastic Tube Constricted Water Flow

I have an old Kenmore 22 Coldspot side-by-side fridge with ice and water dispensers. The dispensers work fine but the water flow coming out of the water dispenser is not as strong as it used to be. This all happened when one day I found a small leak where the plastic tube enters the fridge in the back. I took the tube out, re-inserted it and tightened the fitting. The leak stopped but now the water flow is noticeably reduced, so that I have to press the front water dispenser level a full minute just to fill up a glass of water. This fridge used to have a copper connection and when we moved, the installer switched us over to the plastic tube.

I like the plastic tube better than the copper tube. But how do I tighten the connection so that the leak stops but the water flow is not restricted. Do I need to change the connector where the plastic tube enters the copper tube? If so, what kind of connector should I get?

Thanks for any help.

ftt

Reply to
Filipo

Hi,

The plastic line can become crushed by tightenign the compression fitting....usually use a small insert to prevent the plastic lines from being squished/crushed.....

for 1/4 inch plastic tubing

Hope this helps,

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I was thinking to loosen the fitting around the tube, and back the tube out about 1/16 inch, and then retighten.

Sounds like the tube had a square end, and the person bottomed out the square end.

Jeff is more likely right about this one. Please write again, and let us know how things worked out for you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Jeff's idea worked! I ordered the part, stuck it into the tube, tightened the nut 1 quarter past finger-tight, and opened the water faucet. Voila! Thanks, folks!

ftt

Reply to
Filipo

Hi,