Fridge Moisture?

My Whirlpool side by side garage refrigerator/freezer (otherwise not a bad fridge) has started to accumulate a TON of moisture in the fridge section. Water is constantly accumulating on the underside of glass shelves, the roof, etc. It's really RAINING in there!

I completely emptied it , cleaned it, defrosted some ice accumulation but it started up again as soon as it got back to temperature.

I can't justify a repairman for this unit, but want to save it. Anyone know what the problem might be? If it were some component I could replace myself, that would be worth the time and money.

Appreciate any advice!

Hart

Reply to
Hart

It is normal for condensation to form on the evaporator. Think of a glass of ice water and moisture from the air condensing. Same thing on the coils inside the fridge. Normally the water runs off into a tray in the underside and the water down there evaporates as fast as it accumulates.

Sometimes the hose running down to that tray will get blockage with ice.

To cure it, unplug the fridge for 24 hours and then plug it back in.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Best guess is that the door seal(s) are leaking, letting warm humid air into the fridge, which then condenses as water. Check carefully. Some say if you can put a dollar bill jamb, close the door and easily pull the bill out....the gasket is bad/too loose.

Reply to
curmudgeon

Reply to
Telstra

Thanks for the advice;

Should I replace the gaskets on both the refrigerator AND freezer sections even though the problem appears only in the fridge?

Do I purchase replacement gaskets specic to the model or are they more generic?

Reply to
Hart

Repairclinic.com and similar sites will suggest check door gaskets, clean out drain tube that leads to evaporator pan on top of heat exchanger coils at bottom of fridge, and vacuum out all the dust bunnies from those coils. A defrost timer could also be malfunctioning, and there may be other compnents needing inspection. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe