Four questions about canned fruit and non-American bathrooms

1 If you leave fruit like canned peaches or canned pineapple in an open can in the refridgerator, does anything bad happen to it, compared to putting it in a china dish or glass bowl? Can it poison you or your landlady?

2 I will ask her if I think it won't offend her but can any of you think of there are only 3 towel hooks in the bathroom, next to each other, 7 feet high, and one big hook that's pretty much above one end of the bathtub?

The bathtub has a hand-held shower and there is a separate shower right next to it , so even though the room is pretty big, there isn't much place for a towel bar, but there could be one at the 4 or 5 foot height and anoteher at the 2.5 foot height if need be. The bathroom was redone and has lovely 12" tile all around, but the 4 hoooks I named are put in through the tile. So she could have put hooks wherever she wanted to. She's divorced but people have guests over, like grandchildren. So why not bars or hooks someone shorter than I could use. Even I have to whip the towel to get it off its hook.

3 The first house I stayed in, for four days, belonging to a friend from the states. didn't just have a shower area, the area had a wall between it and the bathtub, and it had a door at least 7 feet high. But it still had the shower drailn in the floor and nothing to keep the water from running under the door, or from inside when you opened the door to the rest of the floor. IIRC, there too, one was supposed to use a squeegee to dry the floor. maybe not but the floor definitely got wet each time. . This house is 3 years old and if I heard correctly, the land alone cost $800,000, plus there's the architect and building the house. So how come there is no shower pan and a dribble gutter at the bottom of the shower door to keep the shower water off the bathroom floor? Like my cheap little house has and just about every house in America. I definitely cannot ask the owner of the second house: "You just built it. How come you didnt' build it right?" and there is no way I know to make that tactful and not inspiring regret on her part. Unless she has a good answer, but I can't imagine one. ('m pretty sure the small squeeee was there to clean off the glass wall and door, which I did, because otherwise glass gets that film on it. I'm not sure there was a big squeegee, but I am sure I almost killed myself slipping on the floor.

4 When you have a visitor in your house using your bathtub, do you clean the tub, either yourself or you get him to do it, with a "cleaner and disinfectant" spray? Do you first inquire if the guest has any skin diseases? (I don't) Do you clean the but after you use it if your guest might be using it?** Or your wife or child?

**This one I can ask the landlady
Reply to
Micky

Some foods seem to get a metallic taste but doubt peaches would. I see no problem from it.

Seems very high. Three hooks for one or two people my work but is there a robe hook too? I don't use a robe so would not matter to me.

Many handicapped bathroom have nothing on the floor but a slight pitch to the drain. It works well. We try to get a handicapped room at hotels and some are quite nice and properly done.

Not needed if pitched properly. Curtain or door may be needed. Many showers are being designed that way now. Any barrier can be an obstruction with a walker or wheelchair.

Are you familiar with Upper Chesapeake Hospital where you live? My wife spent a week there 16 years ago and I was able to stay in the room with her. She had a problem when we were on vacation. That is the first no barrier shower I ever saw and it was quite nice.

Proper floor tiles won't be slippery and there should be grab bars. We have two in each shower.

I expect to find a clean tub and will clean up after myself if needed. I've never asked a guest to clean it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It will only poison your landlady, not you.

Reply to
trader_4

Good lord. Get a LIFE!!!!

Reply to
clare

Canned fruit is usually packed in high fructose corn syrup. HFCS kills you slowly, you might not even notice it happening. Got diabetes yet?

Surprise them by remodeling the bathroom to your satisfaction.

Surprise them by remodeling the bathroom to your satisfaction.

Well duh! You should always clean your but after you use it...especially if you've had anal sex.

Reply to
Reverend Harry Hardwick

Welll last time she transferred the peaches to a china bowl herself, and I think I said I would do it in the future, but I've only 3 more days here and I've decided to rebel. I'll tell her than I'm the one who will die from tin-can poisoning, not her, and I'm willing to risk my own life.

Actually I went away for 3 days when some of the peaches were in the bowl and I should have told her to eat them (though in general I've told her she can eat my food, she almost never does.) I'm an hour from getting back and too tired to stop for dinner but coudlnt' remember what happened to the peaches. Well the two halves were still there and one was the same color as before, but the other had turned somewhat grey (alone with the peach color), consistently across the whole peach. But it tasted the same or almost the same as the other one.

They're close together too, and no place for wash cloths. She wears a robe and I've found it folded on the toilet seat. She'd lived here at least 10 years when she remodeled. Even now someone with a carbide bit could put in hooks or bars.

Her shower area does dip a bit towards a drain, but she expects me to squeegee the floor with a big wide squeegeer, which I do, and then wrap a towel around the squeegee and wipe up the floor, which I don't do. I figure it will dry before she gets home about 8. And mostly I take baths.

I hadn't thought about wheelchairs and even people who can't lift their foot 2 inches. Those are good reasons. My landlady is 70 (60 or less during the remodeling) and the friend who built the house is about 70 and has been sick a lot, in and out of hospitals.

Yes, I've heard of it. It's in Bel Air, where I've been 2 or 3 times (and I drive by on I-95 going to NYC etc.)

So I'll stop criticizing that.

BTW, Bel Air Road is one of the main "spoke" roads leading out of Baltimore. It goes to Bel Air of course, and all the natives except for the pedants and upper classes call it B'lair Road instead of Bel Air. So when a member of the Lee family, died, a prominent family here -- Blair Lee III's grandfather was governor and he was Sec. of State and acting Governor for 2 years --- one of the eulogizers referred to him as Bel Air Lee.

I don't think there were grab bars in the shower either, but by this time, I was out of the shower and definitely no bars. Should I say something to her? I don't want her to hurt herself but I don't want to look uppity either. (this is the 2 million dollar house.) Hmmm. She uses the bedroom and bathroom on the first floor, but her son lives upstairs. I'll tell him.

Well I shoudlhn't have said guest, I'm a tenant, and I think wiping it out is what I shoudl and would do. It's the cleaner and disinfectant spray I've never used even when I've had guests or when 3 of us lived as roommates. What if she had a husband and children. I'm no more infected than they are. Would she make them use that stuff after they bathe?

Reply to
Micky

Whew!

Reply to