Formica Countertop Removal

We are having granite countertops installed over the exisitng cabinets which are in fine condition. The house is 10 years old and the old countertops are formica. I can look under the cabinets and see where some of them are screwed down but on the breakfast bar there is no visible screws or brackets underneath so I am not sure how to remove that section. The dishwasher appears to slide out after two screws are removed on the underside of the top. How do I disconnect the dishwasher and when the dishwasher is removed, will I have access to more screws holding the countertops down? Any help would be appreciated.

Doug and Patty

Reply to
MRTYMCFLY

cabinets

dishwasher

Yes, it slides out after removing the two screws. That and/or removal of the bottom kick plate allows access to the connections. You will have one each: water line in, drain line out and an electrical connection to undo. You will also have a very dirty floor where the machine was. As to whether you will see more screws then - probably but no gaurantee.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

In addition to that fine advice, the bartop is probably screwed down from the top, then formica laid. You will probably have to pry it off. Probably can't be saved. Check with the granite installers as to what they want put back there. They will probably want to attach directly to the wall and use brackets for cantilever support.

Reply to
Robert Allison

it could also be glued down.

Reply to