Fluorescent lamp switch

It would be easier for me to buy one but I shelled out 100 dollars for it in

1976 and they still cost 100 dollars. Why spend 100 when I can fix it with a switch?
Reply to
Shorty

replying to SQLit, Matt wrote: Well, Radio Shack is out of business, and a huge electronics store in my city claims not to carry these parts

Reply to
Matt

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Matt wrote: Jeff, dumb question as I?m a beginner: these small desk lamps with the red/black button starter don?t have a ballast....the only other part is a smal in-line transformer, that?s it! So, the switch acts as a ?starter?? Why is no ballast needed in these lamps like ceiling mounted fluorescent lights?

Reply to
Matt

replying to Jeff Wisnia, csnyder wrote: I had one of those back in my highschool days - a red button and a black one - a branze/brown colored lamp. I've seen numerous ones at antique shops locally here in the Waterloo Ontario aria - in working condition - in the $15 range. I'm sur the switch would be worth that much if you could find one.

Reply to
csnyder

That "transformer" IS the ballast. It is a "manual start ballast"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

People often get loose with words.

To some the ballast and transformer are the same thing.

YOu may even hear of a ballast transformer.

A ballast when used here is to limit the current the lamp will use. Dependin on the lamp, it could be a resistor or capacitor or inductor. Most common are the inductor or transformer type.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

replying to Jeff Wisnia, Edward puro. wrote: Can I make a suggestion. Wire a starter in place of the start switch. I did it for my lamp and it works just fine. I put in the base of the lamp, had the room and used small auto vacuum hose to hold the wire onto the starters terminals.so I can replace it when needed. ED, OUT.

Reply to
Edward puro.