Fluorescent bulbs

I have a fluorescent bulb in a torchiere in my office. Over time it seems to get dimmer which I don't like. I feel like buying another one but that seems like a huge waste of money. Do they normally dim over time?

Bonnie in NJ

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

You are quite correct, all fluorescent lamps are rated in "initial lumens" as over time they diminish

Reply to
RBM

Yes. Talking to a supermarket manager on saturday, he commented that all bulbs in the stores are replaced every two years and it made a big difference.

Lou

Reply to
Lou

Greetings,

I know they get dimmer but what I don't know is if they become significantly less efficient. Do they use less energy as they dim, etc, etc? Does anyone else here know? I don't mind using more dim florescent bulbs to extend bulb life so long as I am not paying extra for the energy.

Thanks, William

Reply to
William.Deans

" snipped-for-privacy@wdeans.com" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

This is only logical thinking, not sure knowledge, but, since a flourescent requires a certain voltage from its xfmr to burst into light, I'd say all they've done is lower the required current to stop them from glowing, in order to allow dimming them. But I'm not sure of that, so ... I'm sure Google would turn up plenty of info, including design infom

HTH Pop

Reply to
Pop

Some of the dimming occurs because of mecury staining within the tube, thus, the UV transmission and conversion to visible light process does degrade over time. This would affect the efficiency of the tube (less light per watt = less efficiency). Electrode efficiency over time also is degraded.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Yeah, after you struggle thru 300 p*rn sites linked from the word "florescent" you might find something useful. Google is turning into nothing but a giant link to p*rn sites. Type in ANY word and you'll get more links to p*rn sites than anything else. Google will soon be a dinosaur.

Reply to

Greetings,

a) "florescent" refers to flowers (like in a garden). I believe you meant "fluorescent" -- I am not nitpicking on spelling but it might improve your search results b) Google has advanced search options where you can turn on or off adult site filtering. I am sure the filter doesn't catch them all but you might enable it if it is off. c) I personally don't find the number of adult sites returned by Google significantly interferes with my searching. d) The stock market does not indicate that Google will soon be a dinosaur. f) If you just hate Google there is somebody who loves you

Hope this helps, William

Reply to
William.Deans

I suspect you are the vicitim of malware, or are a sour grape. I never get p*rn hits on Google when I use it. Ymmv, but a lot depends on how you structure your search terms.

Reply to
Pop