Flickering Lights

It appears to have been a bad breaker. I swapped the wires between 2 breakers and the flickering moved to the other circuit almost immediately. It was a dual breaker and it looks like one breaker went bad.

The circuit that was flickering probably gets more use than any other circuit in the house. There's a couple of living room receptacles with lamps plugged in, the basement ceiling fluorescents, 2nd floor landing light, basement landing light, kitchen ceiling fixture, etc. These are lights that are used every day for hours at a time.

Anyway, I changed the breaker. Since it was an intermittent problem, we'll wait and see, but I'm pretty sure the problem's been solved.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Thanks for the field report. We can learn from your experience.

A friend of mine has been having nussiance trips on the kitchen circuit. I've got a breaker to put in, but not been able to schedule. I suspect he needs more circuits in the kitchen.

.

It appears to have been a bad breaker. I swapped the wires between 2 breakers and the flickering moved to the other circuit almost immediately. It was a dual breaker and it looks like one breaker went bad.

The circuit that was flickering probably gets more use than any other circuit in the house. There's a couple of living room receptacles with lamps plugged in, the basement ceiling fluorescents, 2nd floor landing light, basement landing light, kitchen ceiling fixture, etc. These are lights that are used every day for hours at a time.

Anyway, I changed the breaker. Since it was an intermittent problem, we'll wait and see, but I'm pretty sure the problem's been solved.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

One time, a friend of mine had flickering, in the entire house. Power came in through a double 100 breaker. One night after he came home from work, we switched off the double 100, and pulled it out of the box. Careful, as the wire connected to it was live. The metal bar in the center of the panel had corrosion, which we scraped off.

Looking back, I'd have used inverter, battery, and dremel tool. A dose of NoAlOx on the breaker and bar, and went back together. Looking back, I'd have used dielectric grease. But, he sold the house and I can't go back and redo it. The flickering was cured.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon