flat roof removal

I've used the same tools as used to tear off shingles, but it's still hell. A flat shovel can be useful. "Shingle Eaters" allow you to pull roofing nails more easily. Little bits and pieces can occur, or really large chunks. This job is perfect for the inexperienced roofer, as it is very labour-intensive! Tom

Reply to
tom

Hello,

Is anyone familiar with removing a flat rolled roof (not the kind with stones on top)? I know it sounds simple enough but I have a few questions:

Are there any special tools required? Where on the roof do you start? (Corner I'm thinking). Is it a job for an inexperienced roofer or is it more labour intensive work? (I am OK at other general repairs)

I tried doing a google search but haven't had much luck. Mostly info on shingled roofs.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

rw

Yes! Normally much easier to remove.

Start at the top and work your way down and left to right or right to left. If the stuff is still in decent shape it may peel off in big strips.

If it was full glue down then you are in for an ordeal. If it is just roll roofing or half lap you will be in great shape.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If working by yourself, try to plan out how much you can do in one day, and keep in mind the risk of leaving the roof open, assuming leakage into the interior is a real problem. On work like this, it's easy to overestimate how much you can do in one day when you're not conditioned for it. If the roof is too large to get recovered in one day and the the weather is threatening, or you are otherwise delayed, you may want to start putting down courses of the new felt and top material on the low end before you even finish stripping off the higher end of the roof. If necessary, you can tuck a temporary strip of roofing or felt under the low end of the remaining old roofing (keep a fairly straight line on the cut). This temporary strip can then lay on top of the highest strip of the new roofing. With some weighting, this can survive some rain without serious leakage. hth bill

Reply to
rider89

Be aware that if you do tear off old roof higher than new roof you will likely damage the new roofing by sliding the old roofing down over it. Plan accordingly. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young