fixing foundation parging?

I noticed a while back that the parging (that is the right word for the thin, concrete like coating over foundations, isn't it?) on one corner of my house was cracked and had let go.

I sealed the exposed portion of block with a plastic based tar sealer specifically for this to prevent water penetration before I fix it. What do I need to know to fix it? Can you buy parging in a bag like concrete? any application issues? things to do or avoid? I'd like to fix it before it gets too cold....

thoughts on a successful repair?

bmoney

Reply to
Hamilton Audio

Parging is basically type S mortar or stucco mix. They sell it at the home store. You might also want to get some link. This is the latex bonding compound that you paint on to make it stick better. It comes in blue or clear.

Reply to
Greg

I bought some in the form of a 1/2 gallon ice cream bucket type package for close to $20. This is way too expensive for what I need to do to fix the parging in my house. Does anyone know a source or who to ask for the bag size packaging (25 pounds?) parging material contractors use.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

That's about $19, just for the bucket. They should sell you 60 or 80 pound bags in the $4-5 range. Bonsal type S mortar/stucco mix is handled by Home Depot and it comes in grey or white.

Greg

excellent. thanks! I've seen the bonding agent before...you mix it in with the parging AND paint it on, and it helps to bond.

do I have to do anything else underneath the parging to prepare it? How far below grade should I go with the parging? eg...should I dig away the earth a bit before I do the job? or is at-grade enuf?

Reply to
Hamilton Audio