fixing 2" broken spinkler pvc line

Okay guys,,,put your thinking caps on. My main sprinkler line from my pump to my irrigation system broke. It is a 2" PVC line...The problem is this...there is no way to replace the broken line because I can not bend the pipe in order to slide the fittings together. I have tried the rubber type flexible pipe and with the pressure it pops off. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas or can I create a 4x90degree in order to create proper connections. Will the 90 degree angles handle the pressure?

HELP

Reply to
alextyler

PVC Compression Couplings

-- Oren

Oren

Why not a 2" PVC union? You can get these at any of the borgs.

Brian V

Either cut off a bigger section and use two couplings to splice in a repair section of 2", or, if it's buried, dig up more of the 2" pipe so you'll have some wiggle room.

RicodJour

Yes, the 4 '90's solution is doable. I have used it myself. Does cause a bit of piping friction loss in efficiency.

Don't try the "Dressler" or "Dresser" couplings on PVC. They are the ones with two compression fittings and rubber gaskets. I used one as a quick disconnect on a sprinkler system feeding out of a stream. Over time it actually deformed the PVC by squeezing it down to a lesser diameter. I wouldn't use one ever in a buried pipe.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html This is the 2nd time in a week that I find myself asking "WHY??" to a post suggesting a PVC union. The only practical use of a union would be an instance where you would want to take it apart repeatedly. Follow Rico's advice and use a repair coupling or two and the appropriate glue. You should be able to buy 2 repair couplings and a

5' section of pipe for less than the cost of the union.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html>

While I would probably not go the 'union' route, there is nothing wrong with one. They are just as permanent a fitting as a normal joint. YOu apparently have never tried to splice in fittings in a 2" pvc pipe. It would take a _lot_ of digging to get enough wriggle room to do it. Granted it is one of the right ways to do it but there are simpler work arounds (4 90s or 4 45s for one, a union for another).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html>

In this case, you could probably cut a 3" section of pipe out, and use two couplings and a slightly shorter pc of 2" pipe to make the repair. You would have to do no more digging than you would to try to get your 4 elbows solution in place.

No one is suggesting that you try to dig up enough pipe to flex the pipe around to get a single coupling in place. That might take lots of digging.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake

borgs.http://www.123ponds.com/ww9075.html>

You would still need some 'flex' room. You are talking about inserting about a 6" section of pipe into a rigid pipe. Each of those fitting requir sliding a piece of pipe into the fitting. 4 90s, or 4

45s, plus a short piece of pipe can be 'turned' into place for the final join with a bit of force. I have done it 3 times now on 1" pipe, haven't tried it on larger sizes.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You need to go to an irrigation or sprinkler place. Most plumbing supply houses do not carry these. Call around and ask for a telescoping pvc repair coupling. We use these on full pressure potable systems and sprinkler. They are great when a trencher has chewed the line, they also work great if one backhoe tooth hurt the pipe (full bucket takes out too much pipe).

Here is an example from KBI

another from Slip-fix

DanG