Fix or replace old oil/air furnace?

My oil furnace is 26yrs old & running fine right now.

The combustion chamber looks good-- the bricks are solid - the plenum was taken apart for a thorough cleaning last year & it looks good- and there is no rust on the outside of the furnace.

But I know something major will break one of these days [last problem was a limit switch 3 years ago- the air circulating fan the year before- -- 5 yrs before that a transformer. These haven't been major problems and I replace parts myself so it hasn't been that expensive.

3 years ago the guy who tuned up the furnace put his meter on it and said it was 85% efficient. [He retired and since then I've had idiots do the furnace & I've re-done it after they left. But I'm guessing it is still close. It sounds good & burns clean.]

I only burn 420-500 gallons of oil a year. At current prices that's about $11-1300/yr. A high efficiency burner might save me 15% of that- so say $200 a year. That's a 15+yr payback for a new furnace-- so buying a new furnace now to save money isn't feasible.

I've considered buying a new gun or chassis, and see that they can be had for about $300. On the surface that seems like cheap insurance to just have one standing by. Unfortunately I don't see any that match what I have.

The furnace is a Borg-Warner- U-447102 [also a # P2UFD17F0801A on it] and the burner is a Ducane DMR-10A

It is rated for 85,000 BTU & I'd say from usage is about right-- on the rare days when it hits 20 below zero it heats the house, but doesn't shut down much.

Any thoughts?

thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

t'other jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Straight out, it's a seven year payback, not fifteen. But there's the opportunity cost (the interest earned on simply putting the money in the bank). Or possible other options such as using the $200/year in improved insulation, windows, or whatever.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think you underestimate how cheaply he can replace it.

But there's the

Which is included in a proper payback calculation.

Or possible other options such as using the $200/year in improved

Reply to
CJT

I'd say yer a lucky guy and if it was me, I'd stick with it as long as it's economical. The neat thing about oil burners (I think) is that you can put in a different nozzle to burn less fuel ... if you want to.

OT: unfortunately my old oil burner was on it's last legs (and with new standards the tank was too old, and no chimney liner) else I'd probably still have it. On the brighter side the gas company made me a deal I just could not refuse ... $200 rebate, 5 years parts and labor, the condensate pump ($120) for free, some extra duct work for free ... that sort of thing. A thought ... watch for deals if you think you might switch.

Reply to
bowgus

-snip-

Consensus is that the Ducane DMR-10 or parts for it aren't available-- that's why I'm considering a new furnace.

It isn't clear what I can use as a replacement chassis. I disagree with those who say that the firebox and cabinets were all junk--- Mine is nearly mint after a quarter century & I doubt I can look forward to getting 25yrs from a new one.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Here's my math-- tell me where we differ; $1300 a yr for oil- save 15% or about $200a year New furnace $3000 Without taking into consideration what else I might do with $3000-

3000/200 = 15 years.

Or do you know where I can get a 85K BTU oil & air furnace for $1400?

Reducing heat loss is usually the quickest payback-- and has the added value of a more comfortable and attractive environment. I'm down to one room left for a remodel and all my windows will be high efficiency tight windows. The walls are already R30+ - attic about R50.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht