fireplace pilot light

I am having trouble getting my pilot light to stay lit. The pilot light fires up when ignited but will not stay lit. I have held the knob in for up to five minutes - to no avail. For months before this problem occurred, the pilot would often shut off (almost daily), but I never had a problem relighting. Can anyone suggest what I should be looking for?

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Donovan

First make sure the sensor is in the flame and the tip of it getting hot. Make sure it is clean. Next step is to replace it (the thermocouple)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan
1) Tap the gas line (coiled gas line) with a screw driver. This'll dislodge any crud in the gas line. 2) Take a f> I am having trouble getting my pilot light to stay lit. The pilot light
Reply to
Harlen Ng

Flame on the thermocouple? If it is, bite the bullet, and spend the $12 for the small fireplace version and install a new one...normally, 99% of the time, thats it.

Reply to
CBhvac

Was having the same problem with the pilot light on our furnace. It cost us $100 for an after hours service call to get fixed. All it took to fix was a couple of bangs with a wrench to line the thermocouple up properly. (If you know what the thermocouple is that is.) Something you might want to check.

Thanks Jeff

Reply to
Windy

OMG...too funny. Tell me you didnt pay the man to literally do what you say there....

Reply to
CBhvac

Hate to admit it, but yes, really had to pay for it. :-( (We came home to a cold house after a long road trip, tired, and didn't even think of something like an out of whack thermocouple. I mean it's not like someone was here moving it around while we were gone. Hubby figured we needed a new thermocouple...)

OMG...too funny. Tell me you didnt pay the man to literally do what you say there....

Reply to
Windy

Damn...sorry to hear that...really.

I can understand the tired part...and I can understand wanting it to work, and I can understand the needing heat... But as a company owner that sets the prices based upon work done...I would have fired that guy come morning....plain and simple. Thats wrong...for $100 you should have gotten at the VERY least a new one...not the existing one rapped on and moved....

Reply to
CBhvac