Firepit , status unknown

When I bought the house it had a firepit built in a concrete area of the backyard. It is built with bricks and holds water when it rains.

The previous owner told me he never used it, and disclosure says there is no permit for it.

Here is the problem. It has a gas line running into the fire pit (appears to be from under ground) It has a nut at the end of the pipe, and just near the pit there is a plate on the ground with a couple of tiny knobs on the ground that's has label "LP"? or something, is this a valve control of some sort?

I havn't trace where this pipe is coming from, might be tapping from the gas line in the house under the crawl space and running below the backyard concrete slabs?

The pipe is also just steel and it is rusting. I want to figure out how this thing works. I wouldn't mind cutting off the gas pipe from the possible "tee" inside the house and capping it off there. I wouldn't mind it being just a regular log burning pit if I have to..

Do I need a burner or some sort to try it out? Also what do I do about the pipe being corroded?

Reply to
jj3000

Could have been a hook up for a propane BBQ. Is there a propane storage tank on the property. There should be a shutoff in any event. Be careful. You may need to dig around a bit. Be even more careful.

Reply to
Alan Smithee

I have no idea what you have there, but if you have a plate labeled LP, that would indicate propane or butane. Perhaps the pit was actually a place for a propane tank, or it really is a firepit with a propane supply line.

Reply to
Robert Allison

The plate near the firepit is round and chrome plated with one small square in the middle. One side of the plate says L-L and the other side says P-P. Am I missing a knob that will fit over the square?

The plate is also positi> jj3000 wrote:

storage tank

Reply to
jeremy_ho

LP = liquid petroleum or propane depends on where you live what you call it.

Time to get some one that can track the line. There should be a place where the tank sat that fed this pit. This is probably remote from the pit.

the controls could be from anything and are meaningless for now.

Yes you need a burner to make it work.

Trace the piping and valuing until you understand what is installed. OR hire a pro to check it out and explain it to you.

My first ring that I made was 12 inches in diameter. I buried it under white sand and it was a wonderful flame, almost 10 inches high. It raced around the pit and damn I felt good. Emptied the 20 pound tank in 30 minutes. Back to the drawing board, welded over many of the holes I had so diligently installed. Best of luck

Reply to
SQLit

The PP-LL stands for Price Pfister Log Lighter valve. It is a common gas valve used on log lighters in fireplaces. It uses a 5/16" key found at most fireplace shops. You would turn that key and light the burner with a match.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.

Hi.. could the use of this brand/type of valve imply that it is using the gas line from the house instead of a portable propane tank.

I have looked everywhere for a propane tank fitting in my backyard but failed to locate one.

Reply to
jj3000

Sorry, I don't read the group much anymore, but, yes it could be natural gas.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.