Finishing drywall

I'm thinking the dog turd comaprison is a bit off base.

I have plaster ceilings with a 1 x 8 T&G wall board underlayment (or would that be overlayment since it's above the plaster?)

Anyway, you can see the joints of the wall board in just about any light, natural or artificial. The joints aren't taped, so you don't see rises, you see smooth "indentions" under the 3/8" of plaster.

I don't mind it since I think it adds character, but it's been noticed by more than one person just sitting on the couch and glancing up.

"Hey, your ceiling is sort of wavy...what is that?"

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A commendable sickness shared by all serious DIY people but a sickness none the less. :)

As a general rule if I decide I can live with it "for now" and do better when I repaint then no one else will ever see it. But then I can go it to new home and wonder what hack did the drywall.

I usually let my son look at something that I am not quite pleased with. His eye is more forgiving than mine but my wife would pass a small dog turd so I don't use her.

Reply to
Colbyt

I agree Texture sucks down the road...

Reply to
benick

Sand the direction you taped...And DON'T put that bright of a light on your work...It will just drive you nuts...Drywall is NOT ever perfect nor was it meant to be without skimcoating the entire ceiling or wall...We use CURVED trowles....Use natural light if possible or reasonable worklight..Flat ceiling paint hides quite a bit...HTH...

Reply to
benick

Oren, what I think he's saying is that he doesn't have one, so they are no good.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B